Buying a Mac......2 More Things

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Buying a Mac......2 More Things

Post by Catoogie » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:54 am

Are there any major differences between the new Apple Cinema display adn the older style flat screen? I remember the older model looking pretty amazing the last time I saw one and I'm thinking I could get a used older style flat screen (either a 20" or a 22") and save a little cash. What do you think?

Also, would you wait until after the holidays to buy a refurbished G5? Will the prices go down?

Thanks!!!

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:47 am

check the number of firewire/usb ports...those come in handy for ipods/firewire i/o, etc...

hogfish
steve albini likes it

Post by hogfish » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:58 am

One of the major things I hate about the last gen Apple LCD flat screens is the proprietary ADC connector.Thankfully,Apple has come to its senses and made the lastest gen DVI like the rest of the known universe.This may or may not bother you.Another thing is (and this is only with the 23" cinema display) the extension issue.The 23" cinema display can only be extended via a 4 wire fibre optic cable (RGB + composite) plus a Cat5e cable(carries the USB signal and power switch signal )which if you ask me is a giant pain in the ass.For less extension drama,go with the 20 inch monitor,it can be extended with a single copper cable,although it still uses that stupid ADC connector.Once you figure that stuff out,they are great monitors,and can be had on the cheep.........