wierd converter problems....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

wierd converter problems....

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:27 am

ok... so check this out. not sure if this is revealing a fault in my converters (MOTU 24i/o) or my console (Ghost)... but this SUCKS.

so, i'm more that halfway through tracking my band's new record, and a few times in the process, i had some wierd problems with static-y clicky noise on some guitar tracks i was recording... so i figured... it must be some wierd telecaster pickgaud static (i had a tele that got wierd static buildup in the plastic)... but then it happened last night recording a gibson hollowbody (no plastic in sight) so then i got really suspicious.

so, i was tracking guitar into input one on my motu 24i/o... reasonable levels, peaking at -9 to -6 ish.... on the output side of the interface, i had kick drum coming out channel 1... really hot... hitting 0 on a few occasions, since i'm not mixing yet and still just running roughs for overdubs... and then it occurred to me in one section of the song, that whereever the kick drum hit 0 hard, there was a click on the INPUT where the guitar was coming in... now... i don't know if this is a problem with the converters not having enough power or something so that a huge transient coming out sags the input chip.... or if it's a matter of crosstalk in the console where the ammount of voltage coming back into the board is arc-ing at the patchpoint (TT) and somehow putting a little DC spike into the signal.

ARRRGGGHHHH.

my studer doesn't do this... why can't i just afford 12 reels of tape to do this record. please don't taunt me dave.... :lol:

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:30 pm

Can you see it metering on the input that you were using for the gguitar even when there is nothing patched to that input? then try it with something patched and still no guitar to see if it is crosstalk weirdness at your bay, then plug the whole thing back up and see if you get it even without the gtr playing. You should see it meter at the converter when the kick freaks the box out.

I doubt it is the console.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:31 pm

Oh yeah, john: I moved this to the DIY fixit forum, and never screw up like that again or i will delete all your posts and kick you in the balls when you come to the studio....

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:15 pm

LET's GET IT ON, HAMILTON! I am so getting my ass kicked by you in front of G tomorrow am... you'll be hearing from me....

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/