any samplitude users here?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tomhampton
gettin' sounds

any samplitude users here?

Post by tomhampton » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:18 pm

i'm having an interesting problem that i can't get a bead on....

i record a click track to track one, then when i record instruments to the click track, all the subsequent tracks lag behind the original one. is there a sync option that i'm overlooking? a latency issue?

help?

T
http://www.tomhampton.com

guitar, lap and pedal steel, mandolin, dobro, banjo, other various oddities and harmony slut

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:41 pm

Did you try the Samplitude forum?

I never use my click track... :blush:
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

tomhampton
gettin' sounds

Post by tomhampton » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:37 pm

i did...but posts over there seem to come about as often as elections. i posted there before i came here, in fact.

i've all but resigned myself to going back to my ADATs at this point anyway. i've had it up to here with this whole process at this point.

there's something quite gratifying about hitting record and having what you play come back to you when you're done...

T

guitar, lap and pedal steel, mandolin, dobro, banjo, other various oddities and harmony slut

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:19 am

what soundcard are you using? There are some sync options, but on a fully functioning modern system with a decent soundcard, this shouldn't be a problem.

tomhampton
gettin' sounds

Post by tomhampton » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:24 am

yeah, that was my thought, too...this is a brand new system that i built specifically for this purpose...amd xp3200 chip, 1GB memory, serial ata raid HDD, yada yada yada...soundcard is a frontier dakota card - i'm using the A/D from my ADATs and bringing the audio in from there.

it might help to mention that before i started this project, when i was importing some tracks from ADAT, that i was noticing that upon playback, the entire project sounded slower than it did when i imported it...is it possible that this is sampling rate/sync related, in terms of how the ADATs are synced to the dakota card?

curious and confused....

T

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:34 am

okay, I think I misunderstood what problem you were having. Are the ADAT tapes recorded at a 48k sampling rate? It seems like perhaps the sample rate on your ADAT converters isn't matching what the setting is in samplitude. Make sure your adat machines, your dakota card, and Samplitude are all set to the same rate. Personally, if you're mixing in the box, I think staying at 44.1k is best.