Instrument lines for iso-booth

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

googacky
pushin' record

Instrument lines for iso-booth

Post by googacky » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:17 am

I'm getting ready to wire my new studio space and I'm planning out all my patch panels. In each iso-booth I'm planning on having four xlr jacks going to the patchbay in the control room, but I also want to be able to have performers out in the main room with cabinets and combos in the iso-booth. I'm planning on dropping in two instrument jacks and two speaker jacks on either side of the wall for this purpose. My question is this: will it hurt anything to wire these up trs in case i want to send something balanced through the wall? The ring will simply short to ground when using a guitar and not cause any issues, right? I'm planning on using speaker cable for the speaker ins/outs. Can I use these in a pinch for other stuff? Set me straight on anything I haven't thought of and I'll be indebted.

Thanks.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:18 am

One thought: Neutrik combo jacks with TRS 1/4" and XLR inputs. That way those points can be lines for gtr or headphones or mic inputs. TRS or unbalanced connections will work fine either way like you thought. Then wire a couple of 1/4" jacks with speaker cable and use only for speakers! If you run a guitar through these you'll pick up hum and RFI for sure.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:21 am

I've got two instrumen, one speaker nad one TRS on my booth pass throught. Mine are mounted on electrical boxes on the walls and are a bit clunky. The room was mostly built when I found iit so this was the simple choice. I also have a box with four XLR per booth. I wish I had thought of the combo jacks. Good call Larry.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:58 pm

Always put in more lines than you can ever imagine needing. I'm looking at putting in at least 40 tie lines in my new space! To six rooms plus three iso spaces! Bathroom, hall, lounge, office, etc.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:03 am

TapeOpLarry wrote:Always put in more lines than you can ever imagine needing. I'm looking at putting in at least 40 tie lines in my new space! To six rooms plus three iso spaces! Bathroom, hall, lounge, office, etc.
You're moving? Cool. I'll be expecting a nice thread with lots of juicy pictures!