Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds!

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

jmiller
steve albini likes it

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds!

Post by jmiller » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:03 pm

I got really into him/them while the board was down. I had heard and liked him before, and his earlier stuff with Birthday Party, put it wasn't 'til recently I was able to develop a real appreciation for him. And, there are some really great and interesting sounds on these records.

Just thought it worth a mention. He seems the kind of artist more people here would be into, but I haven't seen a lot of mention of him.

radiantbrian
takin' a dinner break

Post by radiantbrian » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:27 am

i can't think of any records from the early 80s that sonically hold up as well as the birthday party and the first few nick cave albums (edit: the later mission of burma recordings come close). i don't necessarily even think they're that 'hi-fi' really, but the way they avoided every 80s trend as well as predicting a few 90s ones is quite remarkable. i bet you (20 years after the fact) that people try to emulate that 'junkyard' bass sound every day without even realizing it.

Reuben
takin' a dinner break

Post by Reuben » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:56 am

Reuben Radding
www.reubenradding.com