computer recording

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Ivon
steve albini likes it

computer recording

Post by Ivon » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:46 pm

I know most people won't take the time to listen, but I'm going to post this for the heck of it. This was recorded on my PC using Vegas. I'm playing all the instruments. That's how I do most of my recording. I don't have great gear. I have a lot of off-brand, inexpensive stuff made in China. It's what I can afford. Anyway, I'm interested in comments on the overall mix and the drum balance, mostly. Your comments would be most welcome, even if critical.

Misanthrope

YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Post by YOUR KONG » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:54 pm

Nice vocal sound! That and the synth sounds make me think 80's, but in a totally good way. Like those handful of songs from the 80's that you hear on the radio and think, "Damn, they don't make 'em like this anymore."

Really digging the melody and hooks.

The snare sounds kind of loud to me - or just go for less compression? I'd start with decreasing the attack time.

The synth is kind of quiet - especially after first choruses. Crank it!

Also, there doesn't seem to be enough of a ... change between the sections. I wish I could put my finger on it, but...especially the pre-chorus. Maybe add a little studio trickery there? More reverb on the toms maybe to make the tom rolls sound different? Add a reversed delay on your voice so that it reeow-reeow fades into each word? Or a little more verb/delay on the vox just for that section? I dunno - I want something a little different and a little dramatic there to build into the chorus.

I like!

alissa
pushin' record

Post by alissa » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:13 pm

i always love your stuff! :)
www.ivorylodge.net
Mistress of Creot
www.creotradio.net
or search for 'creot radio' podcast in itunes

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:30 pm

King Kong Kitchie Kitchie wrote:Nice vocal sound! That and the synth sounds make me think 80's, but in a totally good way. Like those handful of songs from the 80's that you hear on the radio and think, "Damn, they don't make 'em like this anymore."

Really digging the melody and hooks.

The snare sounds kind of loud to me - or just go for less compression? I'd start with decreasing the attack time.

The synth is kind of quiet - especially after first choruses. Crank it!

Also, there doesn't seem to be enough of a ... change between the sections. I wish I could put my finger on it, but...especially the pre-chorus. Maybe add a little studio trickery there? More reverb on the toms maybe to make the tom rolls sound different? Add a reversed delay on your voice so that it reeow-reeow fades into each word? Or a little more verb/delay on the vox just for that section? I dunno - I want something a little different and a little dramatic there to build into the chorus.

I like!
Tjhanks for the comments, King!

Yeah, I compressed the crap out of the entire drum mix, after the fact. Thing is, I record my drums through a mixer, to one stereo track. Once it's down in 1s and 0s it's there and I have to either live with it or record it again. I can live with this recording, though there are some mistakes and I could do it better. It's all one take, and I liked the feel of it at the time. I think the cymbals are WAY too loud, though.

Good tips about the synths during the seque and the outro. I'll crank 'em a little when I mix again.

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:31 pm

alissa wrote:i always love your stuff! :)
I always love you. Hmm...maybe I shouldn't jhave said...Is it just me, or is it uncomfortable in here, all of a sudden? :wink:

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:30 am

The link were dead when me clicked on it...

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:50 pm

wedge wrote:The link were dead when me clicked on it...
Oh yeah, I forgot I took the song down from that site. You can access it here:

www.myspace.com/ivoncraig

Click to download "Life as a Misanthrope".

Spanks.

alissa
pushin' record

Post by alissa » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:47 am

iwokojance wrote:
alissa wrote:i always love your stuff! :)
I always love you. Hmm...maybe I shouldn't jhave said...Is it just me, or is it uncomfortable in here, all of a sudden? :wink:
:oops: i missed that. i'm only a part-time tapeopper :)
www.ivorylodge.net
Mistress of Creot
www.creotradio.net
or search for 'creot radio' podcast in itunes