"Hot Legs" by Rod Stewart

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

cgarges
zen recordist

"Hot Legs" by Rod Stewart

Post by cgarges » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:39 am

Man, this is another "Road Trip Classic Rock Radio" find. One of those songs that I've heard a million times, but never realized how great that recording is. What a terrific guitar sound. Such clarity in the overall recording while retaining the "dirt" of the band vibe. Love it. Who knows anything about it? I may have another new engineering hero.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

s1

Post by jeddypoo » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:38 pm

that is a great recording, though I hate the song. The snare is really deep and muted and has an Al Green sound to it. Those drums are boss.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:44 pm

Yeah, I'm not a huge Rod Stewart fan or anything and yeah, the song is pretty lame, but the recording absolutely doth rock. Any idea who did it? Where?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

nope

Post by jeddypoo » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:46 pm

no clue. What was that, like 77'? Was 2-inch, 16-track the standard by then?
I wouldn't be surprised if it were like Jeff Lynne or one of his buddies. The production is both very deliberate but very idiosyncratic.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:03 pm

"You keep my pencil sharp."

They don't write 'em like that anymore... well, maybe Lil Kim does.

No, seriously, one of my all-time favorite tracks. That and "All Right Now" by Free.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:52 pm

all right now is a masterpiece. Engineered by rt baker. What a way to start a career, huh? Paul rodgers is so on fire all over that record, that one line gets me every time, "mister big uh". Might be my favorite "uh" in rock.

Over the years Ive grown into a big rod stewart fan. I still dont understand why when my older friends were handing me stones and zeppelin records as a kid nobody ever gave me any faces records. shit, those dudes gave me that free record back that with electric warrior, the first two faces records would have been the nice missing link.

was that hot legs period Mercury in NY? I have a friend who keeps reference NYC rod stewart sessions and I cant figure when, everything from the early 70's seems like it was recorded in england. My folks have been blasting those standards records rod stewart is doing, think he's up to volume four now. Holy shit are those records well done. Recording, performances, mastering, everything.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

Kyle Motor
takin' a dinner break

Re: "Hot Legs" by Rod Stewart

Post by Kyle Motor » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:38 am

cgarges wrote:Man, this is another "Road Trip Classic Rock Radio" find. One of those songs that I've heard a million times, but never realized how great that recording is. What a terrific guitar sound. Such clarity in the overall recording while retaining the "dirt" of the band vibe. Love it. Who knows anything about it? I may have another new engineering hero.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Produced by Tom Dowd, Engineered and Mixed by Andy Johns, so that's a pretty good knockout combination right there. Steve Cropper played some guitar on that album (Foot Loose & Fancy Free) too, although I don't know if he played on that track, sounds a little too hard rock for him. I love that song (I like cheezy stuff like that), and that recording does indeed rock.

If you like that, check out his previous album A Night On The Town. Also produced by Tom Dowd, its got Cropper on guitar and Duck Dunn on bass. I really only listen to the first 4 songs on the record (the rest gets too smarmy for me), but those tracks are great soulfoul faux-southern rock, and they sound great too.

Great point on the Faces records, soundguy. Those don't get talked about enough.

cgarges
zen recordist

Re: "Hot Legs" by Rod Stewart

Post by cgarges » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:58 am

Kyle Motor wrote:Produced by Tom Dowd, Engineered and Mixed by Andy Johns, so that's a pretty good knockout combination right there.
Man, thanks for the info! Andy Johns, huh? Funny--I never would have guessed that. It doesn't sound at all like his stuff. In fact, I kept thinking that it had a lot of the qualities of Glyn's work, but didn't really sound llike Glyn.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Reuben
takin' a dinner break

Post by Reuben » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:39 am

He talks a bit about the making of that album in the interview with him on the Universal Audio website. He focuses more on the track "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?" but it's still interesting.

I think the think I like best about Andy Johns' work is that all of it that I've heard sounds great, without there being an obvious sonic fingerprint from project to project. Compare "When the Levee Breaks" to Television's "Marquee Moon" and you get the picture.
Reuben Radding
www.reubenradding.com

blade70
audio school

Well Done

Post by blade70 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:45 pm

:(! nice :))