Samplitude or Sonar (or something else...)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Piccoman2
audio school graduate

Samplitude or Sonar (or something else...)

Post by Piccoman2 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:47 am

So I'm going to get digitalized here quite shortly. I have a PC that can handle the newest software. I just wanted to get opinions on what software you'd recommend specifically between Samplitude or Sonar (newer versions). I'm coming from the "I've never recorded digitally but I'm am fairly computer literate" (built my own computer ect...) category so I'd like it to resemble working with a tape machine and mixing with a consuel ect... Any advice / opinions would be greatly appreciated. My computer specs by the way: AMD Athlon 64 - 3.2 Ghz, 280 GB Serial ATA hard drive, 1 Gig of Ram, 800 FS Bus, 450 watt power supply, I think that's it? Oh and a DVD burner (Plextor 16x).

Scott

ps - w/ Windows, is XP home edition ok to be using? I have a 64 bit AMD chip so I was looking at XP64 but that seems a little "new" to be trying with bugs and other issues such as my lack of digital recording experience...

segaface
steve albini likes it

Re: Samplitude or Sonar (or something else...)

Post by segaface » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:08 pm

Piccoman2 wrote:ps - w/ Windows, is XP home edition ok to be using? I have a 64 bit AMD chip so I was looking at XP64 but that seems a little "new" to be trying with bugs and other issues such as my lack of digital recording experience...
XP home is fine- I don't think 64bit Windows has driver support for many (or any) audio interfaces.

There is site dedicated to setting up XP for audio recording, I'm just to lazy to look it up for you.

andy
fossiltooth wrote: That's like saying you hate Fenders because of Yngwie Malmsteen.
My musics.

luckybastard
takin' a dinner break

Post by luckybastard » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:57 pm

reason 3.0

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:12 pm

The 64 bit stuff (windows xp 64) is next years technology. I always prefer to get last years technology because all the drivers and stuff are better. I posted a response about my opinion re sonar (I haven't used Samplitude, so I can't help you there).
Piccoman2 wrote:So I'm going to get digitalized here quite shortly. I have a PC that can handle the newest software. I just wanted to get opinions on what software you'd recommend specifically between Samplitude or Sonar (newer versions). I'm coming from the "I've never recorded digitally but I'm am fairly computer literate" (built my own computer ect...) category so I'd like it to resemble working with a tape machine and mixing with a consuel ect... Any advice / opinions would be greatly appreciated. My computer specs by the way: AMD Athlon 64 - 3.2 Ghz, 280 GB Serial ATA hard drive, 1 Gig of Ram, 800 FS Bus, 450 watt power supply, I think that's it? Oh and a DVD burner (Plextor 16x).

Scott

ps - w/ Windows, is XP home edition ok to be using? I have a 64 bit AMD chip so I was looking at XP64 but that seems a little "new" to be trying with bugs and other issues such as my lack of digital recording experience...

jeromee
audio school

Post by jeromee » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:23 pm

Check out SawStudio. I got hooked on it. Using the layout of this app really improved my workflow. I have Samplitude8 and it does fine but I am really annoyed with the dongle :(

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:52 am

segaface wrote: I don't think 64bit Windows has driver support for many (or any) audio interfaces.
edirol UA series have 64 bit drivers now.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:53 am

Another thing you might have to consider, especially if you have a commercial studio, is what will impress your clients. Pro Tools, of course, has the most name recognition. Nuendo is probably the program with the most high-end users (Chuck Ainsley, Alan Parsons, blah blah), aside from pro tools on the windows platform.

carlsaff
takin' a dinner break

Post by carlsaff » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:47 am

I use and love Nuendo, but I would understand why many would consider it too expensive. I had the primo 1.x user upgrade path, so I paid a lot less than a new 3.x user would. Cubase SX is probably the better (and cheaper) bet for pure audio users. Many or most of Nuendo's "premium" features don't benefit audio users.

Most would say that Samplitude is the better (and cheaper) option, but I have yet to wrap my mind around it. I feel like I'm fighting Samplitude every step of the way every time I try the demo. Nuendo, conversely, feels almost like using a tape machine to me. I understood the app the first time I tried it, and it has only gotten better with time.

However, as a mastering engineer, I understand that Samplitude/Sequoia is the "pro" choice for mastering. I will probably go that route eventually... after much study and acclimatization.
Carl Saff Mastering
http://www.saffmastering.com