Electronics books

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Electronics books

Post by operator_tape » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:19 am

out of all those books mentioned in the sticky on electronics wh the best one for a beginner to pick up and read? I don't think I would need all of them to get a grip on building my own gear.

rolandk
buyin' gear

Post by rolandk » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:02 am

IMO technical books are written in the personality of the author and the ideal situation would be for you to go to book store, scan through a bunch and find one that is aimed at what you want and is written in a way that speaks to you.
Luckily in Portland there is Powells Technical Books, where they must have 100+ different books on basic electronics alone.

You might also want to pick up one of those beginning electronics projects kits. I have this one and I believe Radio Shack has one too.
my band: Mission 5

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:35 pm

Go to your local library - there will probably be a shelf full of books, all free for the borrowing. Grab a few, browse through a bit and find what best helps you understand the stuff.

Basic electronics, even basic audio, doesn't change fast enough for the library books to be out of date.

housepig
buyin' gear

Post by housepig » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:31 pm

further to Scodiddly - your local library doesn't have what you want? three words for you - inter-library loan. right now on the way to me, I've got about a dozen books on op amps, timer circuits, and a boatload of Forrest Mims stuff that my local library doesn't have, but other libraries do.

and all from my local library's web page.
- housepig

Housepig Records
free mp3's

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:34 pm

So its not worth buying anything right now at the begining or ever, just going to a library and picking up some books. Cool, Thanks