Refub G5?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Refub G5?

Post by bannerj » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:48 pm

I just wanted to check with you guys before I go ahead with this. I have a small project studio and probably don't even need this big of a computer, but I was going to go with a used G4 dual so this way I get a bit more room to grow and the warranty for about the same money.

And I also plan to add a gig of RAM

I just remember some people saying there were a few G5s that didn't work out so well with some DAW. I will be running DP 4.5 and Reason 2.5 with my Metric Halo 2882...and hopefully a UAD card soon.

Product Details:
- Apple Certified Refurbished Power Mac G5
- 1.8GHz PowerPC G5 processor
- 600MHz frontside bus
- 256MB DDR400 SDRAM
- 80GB Serial ATA
- 8x SuperDrive
- Three PCI Slots
- NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
- 64MB DDR video memory
- 56K internal modem

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:17 pm

You'll need to check on the UAD site or forum about whether that one is compatible with the UAD card (which I highly recommend) but Apple refurbs are a good deal and have treated me pretty well in the past.

--JES

space_ryerson
steve albini likes it

Post by space_ryerson » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:04 pm

Be careful with the 1.8ghz G5's. Apple just released a firmware update addressing a lot of the issues with the 1.8's. I have one at work, and it experienced motherboard failure in the first 6 months of owning, then there were still problems remaining when I got it back, such as 100% freezing out of nowhere.
These were all supposed to be rectified by the firmware update, but I haven't been around the machine much since the update, so I can't verify whether it fixed the problems or not. It may work just fine, but I would still exercise caution.

You can read about the problems here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302212