trouble installing Pro Tools

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

CyberSpy
pluggin' in mics

trouble installing Pro Tools

Post by CyberSpy » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:12 pm

I recently bought a new computer and tried to install Pro Tools onto it. The program installs but then when i double click on the icon to run it the whole computer reboots.

A few people have told me that it might be because of bad memory, or memory slots. Is there a way to test them?

Also my computer has dual processors, could it be that Pro Tools isn't compatible with them?

I'd appreciate any help, thanks.

Also, i'm using an MBox, if that makes any difference.

raw-tracks
takin' a dinner break

Post by raw-tracks » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:29 am

What version of PT are you trying to install? Has it ever booted?
Tell us more about your computer's specs. e.g. motherboards, cpu, ram, etc.
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills!
Mix Our Tracks in Your DAW!
www.Raw-Tracks.com

CyberSpy
pluggin' in mics

Post by CyberSpy » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:10 am

The version is 6.1, I believe.

My computer has a nForce?4 SLI Motherboard, Athalon 64 X2 4200+ CPU, 1gig of RAM, Creative Sound Blaster? Audigy? 2 ZS sound card, 256MB PCI-Express x16 NVIDIA? GeForce? 7800 GT graphics card. I don't know what else would help.

raw-tracks
takin' a dinner break

Post by raw-tracks » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:43 am

I think PTv7 will support dual processors, but I am pretty sure v6.1 does not. For the longest time PT required at least 384mb of RAM, v7 now requires 512mb. You only have 256mb, that could be another problem.
Eric

www.Raw-Tracks.com

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Re: trouble installing Pro Tools

Post by hammertime » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:39 am

There's a bunch of memory tests you can get off the web (free). Go to www.download.com, and do a search for ram test or something, you should get about five or ten. I can't remember which one I used. It could really be anything, though. But memory isn't a bad place to start. If your memory's okay, I'd go through the usual list of culprits -- e.g., check your IRQ's for conflicts, fool around with your paging file, blah blah. I wouldn't be surprised to find that Pro Tools 6.1 doesn't support dual cpus, so you might want to go to the DUC at www.digidesign.com, and do a search.
CyberSpy wrote:I recently bought a new computer and tried to install Pro Tools onto it. The program installs but then when i double click on the icon to run it the whole computer reboots.

A few people have told me that it might be because of bad memory, or memory slots. Is there a way to test them?

Also my computer has dual processors, could it be that Pro Tools isn't compatible with them?

I'd appreciate any help, thanks.

Also, i'm using an MBox, if that makes any difference.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:44 am

Here try this link, just copy and paste it into your browser address window. It gave me three free memory tests.
http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.htm ... tg=dl-2001

CyberSpy
pluggin' in mics

Post by CyberSpy » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:37 pm

Nevermind

*editted because i was totally wrong*

CyberSpy
pluggin' in mics

Post by CyberSpy » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:35 pm

OK i've now been told be a few people that Pro Tools doesnt work with AMD processors. I've heard there are ways around it, but i'm sure if i try that i'll end up screwing up other things. Oh well, i can still use it on my old computer.

raw-tracks
takin' a dinner break

Post by raw-tracks » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:45 pm

CyberSpy wrote:OK i've now been told be a few people that Pro Tools doesnt work with AMD processors. I've heard there are ways around it, but i'm sure if i try that i'll end up screwing up other things. Oh well, i can still use it on my old computer.
Those people don't know what they're talking about. I am running PT6.9 with a 002-Rack on an Athlon 64 3700. No problems whatsoever.

You need to spend some time here:
http://digidesign.com/compato/xp/mbox/

You might benefit from upgrading to v7. Before you do that though, read the compatibility docks and make sure your system is supported.
Eric

www.Raw-Tracks.com

raw-tracks
takin' a dinner break

Post by raw-tracks » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:47 pm

CyberSpy wrote:The version is 6.1, I believe.

My computer has a nForce?4 SLI Motherboard, Athalon 64 X2 4200+ CPU, 1gig of RAM, Creative Sound Blaster? Audigy? 2 ZS sound card, 256MB PCI-Express x16 NVIDIA? GeForce? 7800 GT graphics card. I don't know what else would help.
raw-tracks wrote:I think PTv7 will support dual processors, but I am pretty sure v6.1 does not. For the longest time PT required at least 384mb of RAM, v7 now requires 512mb. You only have 256mb, that could be another problem.
Sorry, I jsut re-read your post and I see you have plenty of RAM. I just saw the 256MB and didn't realize that was for your graphics card.
Eric

www.Raw-Tracks.com