Sigur Ros: Takk

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Sigur Ros: Takk

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:11 pm

I think from a sonic perspective this album is utter shite. i swear every song is full on digital hash on the cymbals, and it's peaked at 0dbfs like THE WHOLE TIME!!! MAYBE I SHOULD TYPE THIS REVIEW IN CAPS, SO MY POST READS KIND OF LIKE THIS ALBUM SOUNDS.

fucking hell... did they think their music was gonna get some airplay or something? it makes the last radiohead album sound quiet and dynamic. what the hell guys?

i wish this album were quiet and dynamic and beautiful like their music can be... but i genuinely find it outright unlistenable, due to the level it is mastered to.

utter shit.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

musikman316
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by musikman316 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:54 pm

i've been enjoying it since it came out... not as musical as earlier releases, but enjoyable enough...

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:35 pm

musically i like it... i just was apalled at the mastering levels... especially from a band that i think of as one that plays dynamic, beautiful music. seems like a shame to restrict this band to a total dynamic range of like 6db....

it is nice. the first one i still like the best, i think. i like the way it develops... but i like some of the more rocking/heavy moments on the new one. just wish i could hear the music over the digital distortion and artifacts.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

musikman316
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by musikman316 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:15 am

I agree, I think I would enjoy it much more if it went so compressed, but I must shamefully admit that I also listen to a lot of music on an iPod... so, most everything I listen to is for the song unless I'm at home and can listen on my stereo...

Later,
Josh

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:35 am

I've only had the chance to listen to it from a distance - meaning about 25 feet away from the stereo - and FWIW I didn't notice it being slammed. I actually really enjoyed the album quite a bit, and I'm sure I'll pick it up soon.

SvefnGEnglar42
audio school

takk

Post by SvefnGEnglar42 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:01 am

I enjoy the music greatly, as always. However, in terms of the overall sound, I miss the rough, live sound of "( )".
And if you're looking for a more dynamic Sigur Ros experience, I suggest seeing them live. Holy shit.
Cynicism is the last refuge of the idealist.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:33 pm

I wish they wrote songs. I listened to one track off the new record that sounded like the fade/refrain from Prince's purple rain, looped for 6:30.. Snoozerville.
beware bee wear

mjau
speech impediment

Re: takk

Post by mjau » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:44 am

SvefnGEnglar42 wrote:I enjoy the music greatly, as always. However, in terms of the overall sound, I miss the rough, live sound of "( )".
And if you're looking for a more dynamic Sigur Ros experience, I suggest seeing them live. Holy shit.
Holy shit is right. Damn near a religious experience for me, honestly.