mini AT mic; rig up to ac. guitar?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lee
steve albini likes it

mini AT mic; rig up to ac. guitar?

Post by lee » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:41 am

i found this tiny AT condenser mic at a garage sale for two buck. im planning on rigging it up to my acoustic guitar somehow. i figured the best place to put it would be outside the guitar by the neck (14th fret), but suspending it there would be pretty difficult. ive thought about inside the guitar but i figure that it would be too muffley in there.
i know alot a pickups have mics inside the body...
does anyone have any suggestions on how i could rig this up.

on another note; i just learned that your only suppose to brew green tea for 2 min! i used to let it brew for a half an hour! ive come to realize that green tea doesnt taste like ass afterall.

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:06 pm

do you know model #??

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:58 pm

Pro 7?

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

lee
steve albini likes it

Post by lee » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:12 am

model #?

dunno. ill check tonight. but, its about an inch long, diameter of about 1/4 inch, silver top black base, 1/0 switch, really big spike @ about 200Hz (maybe a little lower). i think it used to have a 1/4 inch output but someone chopped it off and put on a XLR (with no soder, electrical tape) which makes it crackle really bad.

have you guys seen something at a music store (or anywhere else) that would position a mic in place? i dont care, i would even duct tape the thing to the guitar, as long as it sounds good.

suggestions please, i respect all of you. most of you are much wiser than i in these sorts of things, grace my eyes with your infinite wisdom, heal my ignorance, bless my dumb puny brain with knowledge from your much larger space-brain.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:29 am

man, half an hour with green tea! damn. also, you are not supposed to use very hot water with green tea. certainly not water that just boiled. (in case you are doing that as well)

http://www.imperialtea.com/AB1002000Sto ... egory_ID=5

try that one. at $25 an ounce its way cheaper than pot.

as for the acoustic guitar, you are trying to do this for live sound reinforcement? i would try putting some foam underneath it, and taping it to the body away from where you would strum, somehow getting it near the 12th fret. you may want it to stick out a bit to try to get as much of the guitar as possible

its an omni right?

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:08 am

I've often wondered about this--rigging some kind of lavalier for live acoustic instead of these fucking pickup systems that cost $400 and sound like shit. Very curious as to how this pans out.

Good lord yes...2 minutes in super-hot water is the way to go.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:01 pm

these are totally worth it:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005 ... 7&v=glance

its a bit techie and gauche for proper tea making, but damn. makes good tea.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:11 am

Sometimes just mixing a bit of mic sound is all it takes to make a pickup sound decent - even a cheapo little thing stuck inside somewhere close to the strings. So it's definitely worth trying,
and may even sound good on its own. Putting it inside may take a fair bit of EQ on the bottom, though.

Tea is really best if you use a coffee press, not a tea pot. Then you can separate the brewed tea from the leaves when it's just right. Always possible to add more hot water later, and even green tea does OK for a couple more infusings.

lee
steve albini likes it

Post by lee » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:16 am

i dont know if you guys are into herbal teas, but a cup or two of fresh camomile makes you feel like your floating! also, if your really courageous, try poppy seed tea. if you have a local natural food store you can buy a pound of seeds for a buck or two. brew four tea spoons -in cold water- for fifthteen min. strain out the seeds, heat up the water and brew your favorite tea. it'll make you not only float... a perfect remedy for a migraine! cation: (supposidly) very addictive (but excedrin is probally worse!). its a good thing to have waiting in the freezer for your next headache.
this recipe might need a little working out, but i wouldnt go by the recipes on the net. i tried one from an ex-junkie who used it like methadone. it called for about eight times the amount of seeds shown above! i now know the horror of having to vomit and not being able to run to a toilet!

lee
steve albini likes it

Post by lee » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:23 am

i really hate pick ups on ac. guitars. i cant believe people use them and think they sound good (so unnatural). i figured a mic rigged to the guitar would eliminate the whole being constrained to a mic stand thing.
yes, it an omni.

i cant believe that no ones ever done this.
ill let you guys know how it turns out, im optomistic.
thanks for the ideas. keep 'em coming.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:51 pm

Bwahah. OT hidden within a thread. Very clever.

Are there any good acoustic guitar pickups? Piezos seem to uniformly suck.

(Someone I used to know boiled seeds and stems for twenty minutes in a covered pot, and then let the water cool, and made her green tea with that. No idea if its effective or not, but I thought I'd add to the subthread.)

puls
takin' a dinner break

Post by puls » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:41 pm

There is a new under-the-saddle pickup called a 'b-band' I think. It actually works more like a condensor mic & doesn't have the quacky-honkiness of a piezio. My luthier said he heard about them because other customers were bringing them in & asking him to install them. I don't know much about them exept I trust my luthier & I think it sounds better than a piezio.

god luck

jwp
The universe is under no obligation to conform to your beliefs

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:58 pm

wow, you have a luthier.

do you have a wainwright? a cooper?

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:00 am

Ive seen a regular old lapel mic cliped onto an acoustic guitar with the clip you woud use to attach it to your tie or collar. Sounded terrible, very boomy, tons of extraineous low end. I would be pretty sweet, in a live situation, to have two outputs for your acoustic.

I would put in under the bridge facing the neck. I just though of using velcro. It would be very perminent on your guitar, but you could possibly move the mic a bit if you had a long peice.

I think this is a great idea. Let us know how it turns out.
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"