gotta find work!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

rich
alignin' 24-trk

gotta find work!

Post by rich » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:54 pm

so ive been a live and studio engineer for about 8 years in the litle town of bellingham, wa. i make most of my income doing live and charge enough at the studio to keep it running and cozy.

now the problem is... at the end of dec my club (the nightlight lounge) will be shutting as will the 3b tavern ( a local rock bar famous for its antics). this leaves a hole in my main income and the studio will have a tough time supporting itself and me.

so ive thought of moving. does anyone know a nice place that is looking for engineers? does anyone know a city where live engineers get paid a living wage ( portland is down to about 50$ a night fo r a house engineer gig)? if i were to write to 25 of my favorite engineer/producers do you think i could land an assistant spot? anyone know a band that needs a tour sound guy?

its down to the wire and its been about 8 years since ive had to work a bullshit day job. im a sound engineer and my town is now pretty dry. help a brother out!!!!

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:05 pm

well you can always move to NYC and whore yourself to AV companies like I do. Check hotels, and look for a local production AV type place - they usually pay better than a nightclub cause they hire you out as a freelance subcontractor type deal.

its tough when that happens - I feel for you. I was cut from the budget at my last job in Vermont and thought I would never mix a band again - then I got lucky. Just put yourself out there and be relentless - if you are a good engineer, things will sort themselves out :^:
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!