TapeOpCon Boston update

archival forum of past Tape Op Conferences

Moderator: TapeOpCraig

Mark Warren
audio school

Post by Mark Warren » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:48 pm

Great to see this board back up!

Regarding the event, let me put in my two cents. :!:

For the past 7 years I have owned a trade show production company that produces small to medium trade shows in the tech industry all across America. We have done venues from hotels all the way up to the Las Vegas convention center (often in conjunction with bigger shows at that level).

Also, I grew up in Boston and spent a good 25 years there, and still visit family there from time to time. My opinion of Boston is that it sucks to do an event there, mainly because everything there is old - built a long time ago and not up to modern day size requirements, it's impossible to get around anywhere because the city is a retarded maze, and everything there is expensive as hell, consequently you're having problems finding venue(s), etc.

I recently relocated to Austin, TX from Los Angeles and let me tell you that Austin would be an awesome place to do the TapeOpCon 2006. They have the convention center and tons of hotels downtown, plus it's the live music capital of the world, the capital of Texas, has a major airport, and shit SXSW happens here and if Austin can handle that madness TapeOpCon wouldn't be a problem.

One of the main reasons I moved here also is cost of living. There is no cheaper cooler place than Austin, TX. I bet if you contact the Convention Center here along with all the local hotels you find pricing far and away cheaper than Boston, and one other thing about Texas - people here are super friendly. People in Boston are a-holes (i know 'no name calling' but I have to), and I could never imagine doing an event there.

Also, Boston is far up in the Northeast corridor, which means the further west you live, the longer it takes to get there. Texas is in the middle of county, it's halfway from anywhere. I would be interested in getting involved in helping you plan the production if you'd like to do it in Austin, drop me an email or PM.

-Mark

Rolff
audio school

Step away from the car!

Post by Rolff » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:35 pm

TapeOpLarry wrote:Please hold on with city suggestions. I think we've picked a place but will announce it eventually, soon, sometime!!!!!

It's getting closer unfortunately. Katrina cost us a lot of time...
HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!!! Give the man some air! ':roll:'

I am assuming most of you can read or you wouldn't be here. Please, see the quote of what Larry politely requested and leave him alone. I feel for the guy and his full plate right now.

When and if he's ready for more suggestions, I'm sure he'll consult with us.

Rock on!
Rolff

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Re: Step away from the car!

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:19 pm

Rolff wrote:
TapeOpLarry wrote:Please hold on with city suggestions. I think we've picked a place but will announce it eventually, soon, sometime!!!!!

I am assuming most of you can read or you wouldn't be here. Please, see the quote of what Larry politely requested and leave him alone. I feel for the guy and his full plate right now.

Rock on!
needless to say we should also let a man speak for himself!!

LOL

:P

_Daryl_
pluggin' in mics

Re: Step away from the car!

Post by _Daryl_ » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:39 pm

BEARD_OF_BEES wrote:
Rolff wrote:

Rock on!
needless to say we should also let a man speak for himself!!

LOL

:P
so, is Rolff really just Eddie Haskell replying on TOMB???? SWEET!!! sounds like it to me!!! :lol: :rofl:
"cut the shit, and boost the gain"

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:05 pm

It will be in Tucson, June 16-18 are the dates as far as we know. This is a "secret" as we're still sorting out details. Keep checking we'll know more in a few days or weeks!
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com