joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:00 pm

After Syd, who cares?!
beware bee wear

herodotus
pluggin' in mics

Post by herodotus » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:20 pm

Brian wrote:Last, but, not least, There are a lot of bands that get it right the first time. I recorded plenty. Some got it right and then went on to insist on another take and got that one wrong. They still got it right the first time, but, that second take well, a demerit at least.
Forget these buzzwords of "purist, oldschool, modern etc." they don't serve us.
Originally the job was to get a great recording of the artist if it was possible for the artist to deliver one (used to be expected)and keep your engineering and gear from getting in the way and coloring the performance, that was the producer's job if there was one. Then, big time editing came in and boy did you have to know how to use a razor blade. Not all the time, but, when it was necessary.Pitch changing came in but you could only change an entire performance. Then varispeed helped a little, you still had to nail a performance. Mellotron, Fairlight,
delay and reverb all used to emulate a space and performance. You still had to know how to play, some bands created in the studio some came prepared to go. Either way you knew what you were in for. It was fun for all involved.
The advent of fix-no-talents tools, inexperienced engineers, accounting driven A&R at labels, lowest common denominator marketing, and low recording funds get labels returns without million unit sales. Talent is cheaper because someone is delivering substandard art at basement prices to the common market. Engineering is now usually about that service industry and not really much fun like that.
I'm selling all my shit.
Maybe not, cream rises to the top.
Why are you so depressed?

Is there no music being made today that you like?

Are you sure?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:53 pm

Brian wrote:
dwlb wrote:
thethingwiththestuff wrote:that's a nice story, but what about, say, fabian? a pretty face picked off his front step who couldnt sing for shit. he and plenty of others since the beginnings of "popular music", were nothing but experiments in marketing. you're timeline seems a bit suspicious, but familiar, to me.

also, the monkees.
Agreed. No-talent and low-talent music stars have been around for decades, we just have better tools to make them sound good with less hassle. Nothing has changed, really.

Hell, the musicians who ghosted for Pink Floyd on "The Wall" went uncredited for nearly twenty years. How is that any more ethical than autotuning a flat note?

If you've ever recorded anyone besides yourself, and accepted payment, you are in a service industry. Simple as that.
Are you trying to tell me that Pink Floyd Sucks?
No.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:03 am

herodotus wrote:
Brian wrote:Last, but, not least, There are a lot of bands that get it right the first time. I recorded plenty. Some got it right and then went on to insist on another take and got that one wrong. They still got it right the first time, but, that second take well, a demerit at least.
Forget these buzzwords of "purist, oldschool, modern etc." they don't serve us.
Originally the job was to get a great recording of the artist if it was possible for the artist to deliver one (used to be expected)and keep your engineering and gear from getting in the way and coloring the performance, that was the producer's job if there was one. Then, big time editing came in and boy did you have to know how to use a razor blade. Not all the time, but, when it was necessary.Pitch changing came in but you could only change an entire performance. Then varispeed helped a little, you still had to nail a performance. Mellotron, Fairlight,
delay and reverb all used to emulate a space and performance. You still had to know how to play, some bands created in the studio some came prepared to go. Either way you knew what you were in for. It was fun for all involved.
The advent of fix-no-talents tools, inexperienced engineers, accounting driven A&R at labels, lowest common denominator marketing, and low recording funds get labels returns without million unit sales. Talent is cheaper because someone is delivering substandard art at basement prices to the common market. Engineering is now usually about that service industry and not really much fun like that.
I'm selling all my shit.
Maybe not, cream rises to the top.
Why are you so depressed?

Is there no music being made today that you like?

Are you sure?
Of course there is music being made that I like, would like if I heard, ain't got time to hear.
Man I'm so freakin busy in my life right now, I need a list.
If you look at my resume you can see that there are a lot of different types of music that I've worked with from Salsa, Fusion, Rock, Indie, Pop, Ethnic types like Celtic, Scottish, African, Indian, American Indian, etc.
I don't get a chance to hear much new these days unless they're right in front of me and I'm mixing. Sad, but true. Be careful what you ask for. Between the wife, three kids, and this BB, who has time? I listen to internet radio now, but, it's in the background.
Harumph!