OPAMP LABS 360bm preamp

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

logey
gettin' sounds

OPAMP LABS 360bm preamp

Post by logey » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:39 pm

Hey,
I bought one of these a while back and finally have the time to try doing something with it.
http://www.opamplabs.com/360bm.htm
Does anyone here have any experience with these? I need to get an appropriate power supply for it and I'm not quite sure where to start. I know it needs to be +/-12-24v regulated and bipolar.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Also a description of what sort of sound to expect from someone who has used one would be appreciated. I know not to expect "great"...but "useful" or "interesting" would be cool.

Thanks

logey
gettin' sounds

Post by logey » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:50 pm

nobody?

ok...how about this anybody know where I can find a schematic for a 15-24volt regulated power supply?

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:26 am

I have wanted to try those out myself, but the opportunity just hasn't arisen yet. Years ago I read a recommendation of it from Scott Dorsey on rec.audio.pro. I think the gist of it was, it doesn't sound great but it does sound interesting. You could seek out the post yourself if you want more info.

As to power supply: it's not that expensive to order a pre-made power supply. Also, opamp labs did/does make its own power supply--you could call them or look at ebay to see if you can track one down. Also, jlmaudio.com sell a power supply pcb that would work for you.

tom

logey
gettin' sounds

Post by logey » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:40 pm

Thanks Winky,
I'm looking into the power supply right now...I'll check out the JLM audio deal. In the mean time, I think I might just mock it up and use a bunch of 9 volts as a temp supply. I heard Scott mention once that this was possible...I wonder how you connect them all? I guess you just wire them all in series?
Thanks again for the info.

homershines
audio school graduate

Post by homershines » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:09 pm

I bought some Opamp Labs stuff a little while ago. I was definitely insoired by Scott Dorsey recommendations. He's never lead me wrong on anything. Anyway, I love the sound of those pre-amps. Warm and sometimes grimey sounding. Great for hiphop. I actually have all of the parts to build a pre-amp, but now I'm too busy to deal with it.

Logey,if you wanna make a few bucks setting mine up, I'll serve as the guinea pig.

Get at me via email at homershines@yahoo.c-o-m

eace.

homershines