Looking for a plug-in...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

musikman316
suffering 'studio suck'

Looking for a plug-in...

Post by musikman316 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:49 pm

I'm looking for a plug-in that may or may not exist. I am trying to do some arranging for a jazz vocal record I am working on and don't really want to pay a piano player to come in while I try and figure out tempos and keys of songs. Is there a plug-in that will allow me to draw in a piano part and play it via a midi instrument in Logic?

Thanks,
Josh

YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Post by YOUR KONG » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:47 pm

Hm...not a plug-in, but there's Band In A Box, which I haven't used for years, but it can output the various instruments as MIDI files.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:56 pm

what exactly do you mean by "draw in a piano part"?

if you're talking about drawing in the midi notes in an editor, then you should be able to accomplish that with Logic. surely, they include some kind of virtual instrument with piano sounds.

musikman316
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by musikman316 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:48 pm

Yes in an editor, I am using Express right now since I never record more than 12 parts at a time, and I can mix my 16 outs on my board, and I don't believe that Logic Express has anything like that, but I'll look.

Thanks,
Josh

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: Looking for a plug-in...

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:27 pm

musikman316 wrote:I'm looking for a plug-in that may or may not exist. I am trying to do some arranging for a jazz vocal record I am working on and don't really want to pay a piano player to come in while I try and figure out tempos and keys of songs. Is there a plug-in that will allow me to draw in a piano part and play it via a midi instrument in Logic?

Thanks,
Josh
If you just want to play piano, via midi, that is simple. There are a TON of piano modules out there.

From what you wrote it seems like you want to "make a piano part" and then "play it" (trigger it?) with a midi keyboard. That would simply be a software sampler type thingy. I do it with reason. Sample a phrase, then trigger the phrase by hand with a little midi button box of some type.