strings

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Matti
studio intern

strings

Post by Matti » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:20 am

In an upcoming project I?m pleased to try to record some strings (violin, cello ) for an "acoustic rock" project. We have 2 nt2?s, 2 ADK 51?s, 2 Haun?s
and some... -maybe some Schoeps !! if available from bigger projects .
Any hints? I quess we would double just about everything ( low budget project ) Don?t known the space yet, but still any advice greatly appricieded!
Regards Matti

surf's up
pushin' record

Post by surf's up » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:02 am

Its good to know that you are "pleased" to have this opportunity instead of dreading it or something else less desirable.

I dont have much experience regarding strings. What I have learned in that area is pretty much just from trial and error. The sound of the room will play a big role in whether you want to incorporate more of the room or more of the intstrument itself.

I like how youre thinking with the idea of doubling. I remember reading on the back of the ELO Greatest Hits record where Jeff Lynne talks about how in the earlier days, before they could afford a full ensemble they would just bring in a quartet and have them record the parts over and over until they thought it sounded big enough.

Good luck :D

campironwood
ass engineer

Post by campironwood » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:35 pm

I love recording strings. My approach has been pretty different each time I've had the opportunity... but on my last session I had pretty good success with ribbons.

I used two 121s as a Blumlein pair on cello which sounded fanstastic... but we took great care in finding the right spot in the room. I like wet rooms for strings. Tracked cello and dbl bass in a large empty basement with linoleum floors. It sounded huge.

For doubling I opted for mono tracking. I used an SM7 on dbl bass and an AT4050 on the cello.

For violin I almost always use my 121s.

So think ribbons for main sound, and try to get creative with a different mic for the dbls.
...at least that's what i've done :)

-morgan

Matti
studio intern

Post by Matti » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:30 pm

Thank?s for replies! We are still waiting for the arregments so...
Matti

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:54 pm

It kinda depends on the song. Does he want lush background strings or does he want strings that will be playing leads?

If it is lush strings, have the players set up in the room. Get some darker sounding mics (like Oktava 012) set it up and move people around untill it all sounds even. Then you want to get a good mixture of room/strings. Also omnis work for this.

If he wants some lead or more detailed string work, I would get a brigther mic and close mic the strings. I would just approach it kinda like an acoustic guitar. Get some headphones on and listen for a nice spot and record!