Of Montreal - Cherry Peel

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

surf's up
pushin' record

Of Montreal - Cherry Peel

Post by surf's up » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:11 am

Im not usually inclined to liking a lot of "new" bands, but I have become really infatuated with this album. The way each song is delivered is really cool, with some getting that deliberate dirty/lo-fi sound and other receiving the lush treatment they deserve. Its not really one of those albums that has a "sound". It has a bunch of sounds, and I like that because it mirrors the diverse range of songs on the record.

Another thing I like is how casual and almost capricious the performances are. Things like slightly out of tune instruments, sloppy timing on vocal harmonies, and the generally whimsical nature of the lyrics give it that human element that makes music so inspiring. Its almost Pinkerton-esque in that sense. its just an all-around really cool album.

childsrevolt
audio school graduate

Post by childsrevolt » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:44 pm

strangely enough, this is the only of montreal album that sounds like this. i really like the sloppiness of it all too, and much of it was very... i don't know, just cheerful.

Aeroplane Audio
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Aeroplane Audio » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:40 am

It is also the only of montreal album to date that sounds anything close to like a band playing a room.

It MIGHT be my favorite by them. Either that or Satanic Panic.

I'd be curious to know what version of the album you are listening to. It was re-released recently and all the songs had been either re-mixed or had entirely new stuff overdubbed in (The horn part at the beginning of "baby", for example. That wasn't in the '97 version, though everything else is the same).

I, for one, think i like the originals better. But i would really have to go back and take note of exactly what they added to each song.
"There are two kinds of mistakes: The regular kind, and the kind that don't sound too good"
-Thelonious Monk
--------------------------------------------------------
www.myspace.com/tuttutkc
www.myspace.com/ironpawrecords

Cowbell Anarchy
audio school graduate

Post by Cowbell Anarchy » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:34 pm

I had no clue about that rerelease! I'm a big Of Montreal buff, and I just put it on and listened to "Baby", so I guess I have the original version. I've always enjoyed the personality the basslines have had in their songs, it's like they're talking.

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:02 am

Cherry Peel is a great album. I got to see them live during the touring for "Coquelicot Asleep in the Poppies" (Incredible album, in my opinion, as well.) and loved them even more ever since. Really cool band to see live. Off topic a little, but was that a great night of music. That night there was a great local opening band named "See Venus" and the Oxes and Trans Am were on that leg of the tour with Of Montreal.

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...