Frankenstein.....Edgar Winter Group

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

konabuzz
takin' a dinner break

Frankenstein.....Edgar Winter Group

Post by konabuzz » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:17 am

Yaaaaa......I know.....guilty pleasure.

But, that said, I think the production on Frankenstein has remarkable clarity and I'd like to know more re. what was used, etc. I actually downloaded a clip from the Old Grey Whistle Test (British TV show) from 1970, I believe, where they did Frankenstein live and were pretty much true to the recording. Edgar wore a portable keyboard controller and was actually leaping like a gnome to hardwire different patches on his Moog (I'm guessing here -- sure sounds like it) while playing! Incredible. He also plays the timbales (?) live at the beginning of the outro sequence.

Anyway, always loved the tune -- made my Pioneer Super Tuner and 6x9 Jensen's in the rear deck of my '73 Buick Regal (in 1981) sound much more expensive than it was. Good production will do that - ha.
"Jigsaw Jazz and the Get Fresh Flow"

http://www.youtube.com/user/simpletech?feature=mhee

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:21 am

I hate that guy, but there's a performance he does of it on The Old Grey Whistle Test DVD which I must admit is quite something. While most bands shorten their songs when they play them on TV, he made it twice as long. He switches between that synth, tom toms, and saxophone. It is rules.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:34 am

I always loved that tune. (And I love the fact that Otto is always humming it.) That and "Hocus Pocus" by Focus.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:36 am

Oh lord, now I'll have THAT going through my noggin all day. Fantastic.

Actually, it's okay. This morning it was "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You" for four hours so it's a welcome change.

I do like both the Edgar Winter track and the Focus.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:59 pm

It is a pretty great recording. I'm guessing here but I'd say 16-track 2" at 15ips. difinately some splicing going on, I think the drum/ timbale solo section is spliced in. Drums are in a dead room, no bottom heads.

Great playing and recording for sure.

jmoose
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by jmoose » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:35 pm

cgarges wrote:I always loved that tune. (And I love the fact that Otto is always humming it.) That and "Hocus Pocus" by Focus.
Oh gawd...does anyone remember the 80's shred guy who covered "Hocus Pocus"? What the hell was his name? Anyway I thought his version wasn't as cool as the original, that whole yodelling bit is too crazy!

Frankenstein is one of those seminal bar band tunes that nobody seems to play anymore. I don't know why, it's a good one.
J. 'Moose' Kahrs
mixer|producer|audio engineer
www.mooseaudio.net

www.oxidelounge.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:16 am

jmoose wrote:
cgarges wrote:I always loved that tune. (And I love the fact that Otto is always humming it.) That and "Hocus Pocus" by Focus.
Oh gawd...does anyone remember the 80's shred guy who covered "Hocus Pocus"? What the hell was his name? Anyway I thought his version wasn't as cool as the original, that whole yodelling bit is too crazy!

Fuck man, I forgot about that.
jmoose wrote:Frankenstein is one of those seminal bar band tunes that nobody seems to play anymore. I don't know why, it's a good one.
Probably because you'd need like eight guys or some crazy dude like Edgar Winter to pull it off.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:20 pm

jmoose wrote:
Gary Hoey!

I don't know why I remember his name.

TheGovernor
audio school

Re: Frankenstein.....Edgar Winter Group

Post by TheGovernor » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:39 pm

konabuzz wrote:Yaaaaa......I know.....guilty pleasure.

But, that said, I think the production on Frankenstein has remarkable clarity and I'd like to know more re. what was used, etc. I actually downloaded a clip from the Old Grey Whistle Test (British TV show) from 1970, I believe, where they did Frankenstein live and were pretty much true to the recording. Edgar wore a portable keyboard controller and was actually leaping like a gnome to hardwire different patches on his Moog (I'm guessing here -- sure sounds like it) while playing! Incredible. He also plays the timbales (?) live at the beginning of the outro sequence.

Anyway, always loved the tune -- made my Pioneer Super Tuner and 6x9 Jensen's in the rear deck of my '73 Buick Regal (in 1981) sound much more expensive than it was. Good production will do that - ha.
Back in '73 (when I was 9 y/o) my local public library just got a high speed cassette dubbing machine. You could "check out" tapes (a high speed dub) just like a library book. Then, you could sit down at a listening station there, grab a pair of headphones and listen to your checked out tape, or bring it home.

That summer, I have this vivid memory of listening to "Frankenstein" on one of these checked out tapes at the library, completely BLASTING on the headphones at the listening station....over and over again (like any good 9 y/o). That may be one of the many reasons for my warped mind.

--CRX
http://xefos.com

***Playing tricks with time***