Interpol-Slow Hands

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

caseyLA
audio school

Interpol-Slow Hands

Post by caseyLA » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:41 am

Is it me or does this song have way too much earsplitting top end to it? Does the rest of the album sound like this?

bradb
pushin' record

Post by bradb » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:22 am

I've been listening on MP3 so I can't comment on the highs... I do like this album alot and since you've mentioned it, I'd like to hijack your thread and bring something up that I've noticed.

On the song Narc, when the chorus comes in around 1:07, there sounds like there is an out of time delay coming in. That part always strikes me like there's a bunch of delay feeding back off-time.

hard to explain...

take you on a cruise is a sleeper hit.

aeijtzsche
gettin' sounds

Post by aeijtzsche » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:40 am

Yeah, any 5-minute stretch on Antics will give you a headache. Shame, because I love many of the songs.

The mono pre-release leak is less painful to listen to.

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:27 am

caseyLA wrote:Is it me or does this song have way too much earsplitting top end to it? Does the rest of the album sound like this?
I don't think so. In my opinion the first album has a great deal more "ear-splitting" tones thrown around than of that on Antics. The highs are definitely there, but alot less peaky...

bradb, the delay thing is something I noticed alot on "Turn on the Bright Lights". I remember hearing that then and thinking it was a really neat way to create a little more depth in the mix. If it were too much though it would be a mess. I hear it alot less now in retrospect. Take you on a Cruise is one of the solid strong points of the album for sure. I haven't heard the mono version aeijtzsche mentioned and might have to try to find that. aeijtzsche, where have you heard it?

I love the sound of this album in general, but especially the kick(s). It might not be anything special, but it just suits their sound and the sound of the album so well. Too many times on newer albums the kick(s) just doesn't fit the band, style or player but these sounds just works so well. I have deveolped serious kick-envy over the last few years though.

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

aeijtzsche
gettin' sounds

Post by aeijtzsche » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:54 pm

I haven't heard the mono version aeijtzsche mentioned and might have to try to find that. aeijtzsche, where have you heard it?
When the album leaked, it leaked in mono. I got it from various sources, until the thing actually came out.

I was kind of hoping it was going to be a solely mono release actually.

It's just a fold-down of the stereo mix, anyway, but unmastered.