Another lurker unveiled...

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

abc
ass engineer

Another lurker unveiled...

Post by abc » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:22 am

Hi, all - After lurking here & enjoying the mag for a while I've started posting. Just in case anyone would like to listen to some stuff to judge the value of my opinion, here's some info & a link...

For my first few years of home studio work I recorded exclusively on a Roland VS-2480 with onboard effects (the VS8F-2 cards, for those who care). I managed to get my buddy Dean Clean (see www.deadmilkmen.com) to play drums on some stuff, but I faked my way through on the others.

I compiled an original self-recorded CD which I sent out to my friends & family last year at this time...it's called "Home Studio" and is available for listening at:

http://cdbaby.com/hughhamilton

I've also taken advantage of their "digital distribution" service, so the songs are listed at iTunes and many others.

I use a dial-up connection - I notice the dial-up song samples sound noticeably altered from the actual mixes...but they're a fair representation. I haven't listened to the "broadband" samples, so don't know if they sound more accurate; would guess they do.

Thanks to all you "posters" for the interesting & useful info here on the forums - keep up the good work!

tonyoci
studio intern

Post by tonyoci » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:00 pm

I LUUUUV Butterfly (please email me if I can play it on my show).

Anniversary is a clear Beatles song :D Also good

Tell Me - another good un'

What to do is great.

You've almost inspired me to actually buy a home made CD.

Tony

abc
ass engineer

Post by abc » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:23 am

Hi, Tony - thanks for the kind words...I'm grateful for your podcast offer, and will send you a note after mulling it over. I haven't faced that question before.

I hadn't listened to the CDBaby demo versions since posting the album there months ago...I listened again after posting above, and I was surprised at the low quality of the dial-up versions. Sounds mono, and poor eq. So I disagree with my own statement of their demos being a fair representation...still haven't heard the broadband versions.

To other readers - I saw Tony's post soliciting homemade tunes for his podcast, and sent him that morning's effort... Jingle Bells, in a stylistic blend of Jerry Lee Lewis, The Andrews Sisters, and that English band beginning with B-E-A...he says it'll be part of his xmas show later this month...For what it's worth, it's the first song I've recorded that my young daughters have insisted be played over and over while they dance & sing...Danny Zanes, look out, here comes Daddy Zany...my only regret - I played the drums. Problem is, I can't play the drums.