antony and the johnsons

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

edobyns
audio school

antony and the johnsons

Post by edobyns » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:43 pm

hello everyone. .i just joined in. .as an avid reader of the magazine i look forward to participating in this online forum.

a friend recently pointed out the thread of discussion between doug henderson, joel hamilton and others regarding antony's record. i was responsible for most of the tracking and some mixing on that record, and after reading the discussion i thought i could clear up a few details. for example, his vocal mic was actually a 47 fet, fistful of love was tracked at dubway, etc...

So, if anyone has any more technical questions about the recording, please feel free to ask.

emery
dobyns

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:48 am

Hey Welcome and thanks for the heads up and the offer on any technical questions we might have..its always nice to hear about how a record was made by the maker and not some 3rd party..

Hope your doing well and hope to see you on this forum more!!

OneZero
takin' a dinner break

Post by OneZero » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:51 pm

Welcome!

After reading that thread I had to buy some of their music. I purchased the You are my SIster EP from iTunes.

Is this one of the recorings you were involved with?
I have some really horrible gear!!!

luckybastard
takin' a dinner break

Post by luckybastard » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:04 pm

I'm the guy who started the last thread. that record is still on rotation and my friends hear more about it than they would like...

dhenderson
audio school

Re: antony and the johnsons

Post by dhenderson » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:00 pm

edobyns wrote:hello everyone. .i just joined in. .as an avid reader of the magazine i look forward to participating in this online forum.

a friend recently pointed out the thread of discussion between doug henderson, joel hamilton and others regarding antony's record. i was responsible for most of the tracking and some mixing on that record, and after reading the discussion i thought i could clear up a few details. for example, his vocal mic was actually a 47 fet, fistful of love was tracked at dubway, etc...

So, if anyone has any more technical questions about the recording, please feel free to ask.

emery
Hi Emery, some day we'll meet in person I hope...
Wow, that was one dead 47 though. There were a couple of tracks labeled something like vox 87, so I thought that was the mic. I also thought, "wow, that was one dead 87..." Interesting to me how good Sorcerer sounded for this music (obviously with much help from yourself). They were always most friendly to the heavy rock acts, and the room sucked dogs for that stuff. RIP
Cheers,
Doug
micro-moose

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:19 pm

Hey Emery,

Glad to have you on the board. I must have listened to "I Am A Bird Now" about a hundred times at this point and the recording still blows my mind. Congrats on helping to put together such a great album.

-marc

s00p3rm4n
alignin' 24-trk

Post by s00p3rm4n » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:26 pm

Hi! I adore the sound of this record. Thanks so much.

What mics/pres were thrown at Antony's piano?

Also, what pres worked best on his voice? Compressors?

I know those are very vague, general questions. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again for helping to make a wonderful slice of music.
"He just wants to see boys' Linuses."
-- <i>Arrested Development</i>

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:31 pm

One of my top 10 favorite acts to work with live.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron