Old news but: Ben Fold's "New" record

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Old news but: Ben Fold's "New" record

Post by MichaelAlan » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:29 pm

I am still way excited about it. I know it came out quite a while ago, but I am loving it. And I didn't care for rockin' the suburbs...

Mike
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:47 am

Me too. Such a great group of songs. Great songwriting. Great arrangement, and best of all really incredible performances. BUT, I still think you need to go back and give "Rockin' the Suburbs" another listen. I really am a Ben Folds fan. Really enjoy just about everything he has done (not trying to kiss ass, just commenting) and I think he solo stuff is just as important as his "Five" stuff. I remember getting "Rockin' the Suburbs" just after it came out (I remember it came out on September 11) and just not being able to take that disc out of the cd player. The first three songs on the album are just epic! Completely set the mood for the disc. And then you get great arrangements from "The Ascent of Stan" and "Carrying Cathy" and all the fun stuff from songs like "Fired" and "Gone".
I got to see the new band (first time I got to see him was on the solo "Ben Folds and a piano tour") back in July at a free concert here in Atlanta. The sound was awful! but they are just so great together. Did a great up-tempo version of "Gracie". Wow. And their version of "In Between Days" is so awesome. If you haven't heard the "Songs for Goldfish" disc, I strongly recommend ordering it, or doing the iTunes thing if you are an iPod person.
I missed seeing them on Austin City Limits a while back and was just pissed. I was down in Miami and rather than broadcasting it they were showing some childrens programs (we just had a hurricane and all the public broadcasting stations were running dragon tales and barney and things like that 24 hours a day to keep the kids minds off the mess...fuckin' hurricanes). They re-broadcasted the following week, but the station was having audio difficulties so the entire show was without sound. Go figure. I hear it was great though. I think it is scheduled for a re-re-broadcast in the spring sometime.
Either way, the new one is great! And I couldn't be more happy that they decided to drop the strings for the album cut of "Landed". Good call.

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Re: Old news but: Ben Fold's "New" record

Post by Ivon » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:45 pm

MichaelAlan wrote:I am still way excited about it. I know it came out quite a while ago, but I am loving it. And I didn't care for rockin' the suburbs...

Mike
:roll: Yeah. This is old news. Sheesh...

Just kidding. :wink: I just listened to this for the first time in months again...I'd loaned it out to my cousing. It is a great record. I love it. I think I still prefer "Whatever". But, Fold's music has definitely matured. He's more Bruce Hornsby-like on the newest album, as much as I hate to say it...but, I still enjoy it. The songwriting is excellent. And as always, beautiful chording. Elton John who? You mean that bearded fat man with the big sunglasses? Pssshh...

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:56 am

iwokojance wrote:
MichaelAlan wrote:I am still way excited about it. I know it came out quite a while ago, but I am loving it. And I didn't care for rockin' the suburbs...

Mike

Just kidding. :wink: I just listened to this for the first time in months again...I'd loaned it out to my cousing. It is a great record. I love it. I think I still prefer "Whatever". But, Fold's music has definitely matured. He's more Bruce Hornsby-like on the newest album, as much as I hate to say it...but, I still enjoy it. The songwriting is excellent. And as always, beautiful chording. Elton John who? You mean that bearded fat man with the big sunglasses? Pssshh...
Whatever is still my fave too. I guess the thing is, this is the first record I have LOVED since whatever and ever.
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:28 pm

MichaelAlan wrote:
iwokojance wrote:

Mike

Whatever is still my fave too. I guess the thing is, this is the first record I have LOVED since whatever and ever.
Yeah. I hear 'ya. Me too.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:03 pm

I have to give the nod to "Reinhold" for best Ben Folds Five album, with "Whatever" a very close second. Of the new solo stuff, I really liked "Rockin' the Suburbs". I also love the "Super D" EP. The cover of that Darkness song kills me. Some people might not care for Ben Folds' more gimmicky stuff, but I love it. I couldn't really get into "Songs for Silverman". Not that there aren't great songs, but something about this new trio doesn't click with me like it did with Ben Folds Five.