star grounding wire question

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

antonlamont45
gettin' sounds

star grounding wire question

Post by antonlamont45 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:18 pm

when doing a star grounding system, will 12 awg stranded speaker wire work ok? or should i look for solid copper wire? i've read suggestions to use solid copper wire, just wondering if the speaker wire is ok before i buy a bunch.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:56 pm

It will be cheaper if you just go to an electrical store or to Home Depot and buy a roll of solid or stranded 12 or 10AWG single conductor wire which should only run about $0.10 per foot.
Since you're not running the ground for lightning or surge protection, but just for a unified ground in a studio (I presume) then you're OK with just about anything, although the idea is to make certain the ground line is a "more attractive" conductor than the shield or ground on any of your audio cables. For that reason, it should generally be thicker than any other wires in the system, and stranded 12 or 10 AWG A/C power cable will have thicker strands then speaker wire.
A ran stranded 6 AWG wire around the school studio for a star ground system but it's still not entirely terminated because I didn't end up having any grounding issues with the patchbay.

-Jeremy

sonicmook56
steve albini likes it

Post by sonicmook56 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:00 pm

Better than no ground! What is this for?

If you think you have ground potental problems in say, a low voltage mic pre (+/- 18vdc or so) I would use it.

If it was a weird antique monster tube amp, I would shop around.

sonicmook56
steve albini likes it

Post by sonicmook56 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:02 pm

The profesor keyed in before I finished my last post...

I was thinking of gear not rooms. :roll: