Developing Your Ears

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

ataraxia
takin' a dinner break

Post by ataraxia » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:14 pm

the trick to training your ears is singing every fucking tone that comes your way. Then you will naturally memorize tones and match them up. "whoa thats that opening note from iron man...!" then you learn the names/or spot on your insturment they reside. i "bought" the perfect pitch course and it works (helps?). the basics of the course are a) don't think about it, b) sing solo notes and try to apregiate chords vocally. i.e play any chord on a guitar and trying singing every note in the chord. if you do it wrong correct yourself. find what note you are singing and...uh..A/B it? and when you sing just do simple "la's"

As far as golden ears and frequency ranges....my frequency recognition is crap.

i used to re make entire songs. to figure out what they were doing musically. i think all nerds do. i had real fun doing a few clinic songs (they were easy enough for me) i'd map out drums, bass etc.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:06 pm

drumsound wrote:For instance "Revolver" The drums are smashed to shit ( and cool as hell) and there's a few "mute mistakes." I've listened to that record so many times and heard many of the songs on the radio that I don't notice the specifics.
I'm 33, and somehow have managed to avoid being overexposed to the Beatles. I've never owned a Beatles LP, cassette, or CD, and heard nothing besides what was played on the radio. My wife on the other hand, who grew up with the Beatles played regularly in her house, recently decided that our Beatles-free CD collection couldn't remain so any longer. She went out and got four or five discs a few months back.

I'm in the middle of seriously listening to "Revolver" all the way thru for the first time right now.

lanterns
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by lanterns » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:43 pm

Girl Toes wrote: I mean, I have my RCA ribbon mic plugged through an old ampex tube mixer. going on to tape. If you say "hello" on it, your heart will melt. Does it sound great?? Sure. But it FEELS even better than it actually sounds.
I think I just wet myself.