Mix Comparison - from July to November

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Aeroplane Audio
alignin' 24-trk

Mix Comparison - from July to November

Post by Aeroplane Audio » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:41 pm

Hye everyone. I recorded a band called The Hospital (which is made up of some friends of mine) in my baseement studio Over 3 jam-packed days of recording in July of this last summer.

Listening to the mixes, I found several things i would want to fix, since the mixes were done in such a hurry (i left for tour literally 2 hours after i finished them).

Due to the tour and being away for school, the first time i had to remix these songs was over thanksgiving break.

For some reason, now i can't really decide which ones i like better. I'm relatively new at this game, so both mixes have some pretty obvious demerits, but I'd like to get y'allses opinion of which one is the better mix and why.

I'll post up both versions of five songs, but you certainly don't have to do all of them. I just like to give you options.

There are no vocals left as the lead singer likes to record those himself for whatever reason. I know he has some OK equipment and some know-how, so i'm not overly worried about it.

In any case, i like this band (The Hospital) alot and i was realy excited to be able to record them. they come off to me as kind of a The Cure meets the Pixies kind of deal, but with some surf rock thrown in there as well.

I don't know.

Any comments would be appreciated.

This is long.

JULY VERSIONS:
Song 1
Song 2
Song 3
Song 4
Song 5

NOVEMBER VERSIONS:
Song 1
Song 2
Song 3
Song 4
Song 5
"There are two kinds of mistakes: The regular kind, and the kind that don't sound too good"
-Thelonious Monk
--------------------------------------------------------
www.myspace.com/tuttutkc
www.myspace.com/ironpawrecords

earl parameter
buyin' gear

Post by earl parameter » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:13 pm

one reason you might be into the newer mixes in comparison is they are not as loud or as bright as the older ones. so you'd have to ride the volume and watch the meter while comparing them (you'll always like the louder one). but i do think the newer mixes are better thought out and "mixed" better. each instrument sort has its own place and the older tracks are a bit slap and dash (though that has is merits as well). id say after a decent mastering the newer tracks would keep you happier in the long run.

my $ 0.02