How to go from a small cd player to 2 preamps?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

TrumpsHair
buyin' gear

How to go from a small cd player to 2 preamps?

Post by TrumpsHair » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:36 pm

Can someone tell me the best way to do this. I have a little cd player with a small (1/8") headphone out.

I used a 1/8" cable to plug into the cd.

With the other end, I used an adapter and plugged the adapter into a Y-cable. With the two 1/4" jacks going into the 2 preamps.

The problem is that I seem to be getting two mono signals out of the Y-cable. I need to get the left-right (stereo) to go into each preamp.

Are Y-cables mono only? How would I best get a stereo signal from the cd player to the preamps? thanks

lightning_electronics

Re: How to go from a small cd player to 2 preamps?

Post by lightning_electronics » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:27 pm

TrumpsHair wrote:Can someone tell me the best way to do this. I have a little cd player with a small (1/8") headphone out.

I used a 1/8" cable to plug into the cd.

With the other end, I used an adapter and plugged the adapter into a Y-cable. With the two 1/4" jacks going into the 2 preamps.

The problem is that I seem to be getting two mono signals out of the Y-cable. I need to get the left-right (stereo) to go into each preamp.

Are Y-cables mono only? How would I best get a stereo signal from the cd player to the preamps? thanks
some y cables are stereo, but some are mono. you have to make sure to get the stereo version; from male 1/8" to male 1/4" shouldn't be hard to find.

if your cd player has a line out, use that though.