Studer B67 1/4"

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Studer B67 1/4"

Post by @?,*???&? » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:12 pm

Just scored one of these from a poster on the myspace.com/tapeop messageboard. Avoided the shipping of this beast and was able to drive it over to my studio, Third Monk.

Have gathered the NAB alignment tape. Have aligned the reproduce side for a +6 level. Record alignment is spotty at best.

I'm looking for a manual for this thing. Any suggestions?

Specifically, the 'preadj' at the bottom of the record card leaves me flummoxed. I'm guessing this is 'input gain' in reality, but can anyone verify that for me? If so, that'd be a 1Khz alignment to '0' as the first step.

Also, might have a serious erase current issue, but there's no erase head card in this deck.

Suggestions?

sonicmook56
steve albini likes it

Post by sonicmook56 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:55 pm

nice score. I found one on my local craigslist but it was a bit of a basketcase.

"preadj" maybe it is for setting channel bias...if there is a master bias cal. somewhere else. You could verify by tweeking it to see if the level at the output goes up.

could be for calabrating the meter circuit.

erase current is probably set at the factory with a fixed resistor. Im not shure if that deck had options for 4 track heads and such, but if it did, and at one point in time it was setup with a diffrent track count without changing the R, then you would definatly have problems.

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:04 pm

Damn!

I never see those machines anywhere. Yet it seems like everyone has one. I've been looking for years.

FWIW, there's always about any part you would ever need in Australia.

helmuth
steve albini likes it

Post by helmuth » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:37 pm

Our (Sweden's) public service radio had shitloads, they sold them all. Can be had any day you like for about 400$. Got to be the first time my location is of advantage when it comes to scoring gear.

brianroth
tinnitus

Post by brianroth » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:10 am

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:31 am

Brian, thanks. Just what I needed.

I need a ruling now. Here's the description of the 'preadj' pot from the B67 manual which I just downloaded using your link:

"With R95 (PREADJ), the input amplifier can be preadjusted (matching the VU-meter reading to the reference level or operating level)."

Now I read this to mean take a 1Khz into the recorder and calibrate this to the same level I just calibrated the repro 1Khz tone to on the VU. So if I were going for a +6 alignment, my 1Khz from MRL gets aligned to -3 and then also the input level on the VU using the 'preadj' pot on the record card. But it seems this could simply be an 'input gain' pot which means that the 1Khz tone should be at '0' VU regardless of where the MRL/repro alignment was done.

Any judgements out there? I don't see any other input cal pots, so these must be them.

jpmorris
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by jpmorris » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:17 am

Oh fantastic! They have the service manual for the Revox B77 as well. Thankyou very much for posting that link. It never occurred to me that they would publish the service manuals as PDFs.