Mac Rumors regarding Firewire availablity on pentium laptops

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

chris harris
speech impediment

Mac Rumors regarding Firewire availablity on pentium laptops

Post by chris harris » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:09 am

I read on http://www.macrumors.com that it's rumored that the new pentium based iBooks will drop firewire altogether and that the new PowerBooks will have only 1 Firewire 800 port to appease video professionals.

This will be a huge disappointment to those using FW based audio interfaces.

Hopefully, the rumors will turn out to be false.

UXB
steve albini likes it

Post by UXB » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:46 am

While I could easily be wrong, there are a few sites refuting the sources of this rumor as "unreliable", and perhaps what we will see is firewire 800 exclusively...IT would seem strange to develop all that consumer software for video and photo, and then not support the devices, but I was wrong once before-just ask the wife!

Just my 2 rupees.

-H

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:23 pm

Apple developed Firewire. I find it hard to believe that they'd start phasing it out when it's an important technology for many...

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:44 am

wedge wrote:Apple developed Firewire. I find it hard to believe that they'd start phasing it out when it's an important technology for many...
yeah.. but, they've already abandoned it on the newest iPods.
I hope this rumor is just a rumor.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:23 am

Mac is notorius for shooting themselves in the foot and laming their own customer base and providing the very worst customer support. Don't be surprised that Bill Gates himself coulda started this rumour and it still turns out true. Apple started ADB and SCSI interfaces too how much working gear did OI have to get rid of when they abandoned that stuff, my net cam, my scanner, my $$$ post$cript la$er printer, my appletalk network, thousands of dollars worth of stuff. Then they abandoned the video card for the older, but not too old, powerbooks so that you couldn't get any decent performance out of OS X 1, 2, and 3, $2k out the window.
I'd like to smackem in the head.
Harumph!

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:18 am

Yeah, but SCSI had been around for years, and had flaws that firewire addressed admirably. In other words, firewire was a big step up from SCSI. Remember having to reboot your comp whenever you had to move a SCSI drive? And termination? And how sensitive a SCSI chain could be, and if you didn't give each item in the chain it's own discrete number, then the whole system was bollcks? Firewire is much better, and it's only just really hitting it's stride. If Apple is looking beyond it, it must be because they're developing something to replace it. Abandoning it outright with no alternative would be absurd...

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:19 am

I'll give you that, if they're abandoning it they're gonna put something even more stable in its place, however, if you have all your problems "sussed" well, I got ten years ut of my SE, four years out of my IICX even though it s was a dead end, ten years out of my "quadra", three years outta my powerbook, still got my dead end G5 1.8SP. Anybody wanna buy a G5 1.8ghz with 1.5g ram? ha ha, no, seriously. It takes a big mix to bog it, but, that's what I do.
Stupid computer, stupid store, stupid me.
Harumph!

cvanwinkle
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by cvanwinkle » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:04 pm

The MacTel developer pc's I've seen have regular old Firewire on the front still (the case is the same as a G5, just different innards).

We don't have any of the laptops, so I don't know if it is true. I seriously doubt they will be dropping it in the next rev of pc's/laptops they release.

Even if they did FW800 is backwards compatible. Just takes an adapter. However, as soon as you plugin a legacy FW device all of the devices on the chain will operate at the older speed.

-C

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:32 am

What if you plug it in as the last device in the chain?
Harumph!

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:41 am

The only reason Apple abandoned firewire in the iPods is that USB2 is good enough and it allowed them to make the unit a bit smaller. Personally, I would have preferred FW, but it seemed like a design decision for a specific product, not a dismissal of firewire as such.

That said, as a fullon Apple user, I would concur with Brian -- their customer support is lame and they won't tell you the whole story (take a look at that iPod class action suit). Somewhere in the archives is a story about me updating an old G3 beige. I called tech support, asked if I could upgrade it to OSX and do everything you could do on a normal computer. They said yes, for sure. A couple hundred dollars later, it turned out I couldn't print. I called the guy back, "oh, you wanted to PRINT? no, you can't do that on OSX on a beige g3. Why would you try to do that?" Ugh.

--JES

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:22 am

I wish I new a great "internet BBS anachronism" for that!
It is a testimony to our animal heritage that one's first thought in such instance is "kill that person!", can I get a witness?
Harumph!