G3 Blue and white question

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joel hamilton
zen recordist

G3 Blue and white question

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:26 pm

Has anyone here been able to get 10.3.9 to run on a G3 B&w?

I have 10.3 on mine, and it FREAKS out when i try to update!?!? Totally crappy.
I just need this thing for email/BS (like this website ;) ) and general dicking around, but there are a few programs i would like to have going on that require 10.3.9.

This G3 just hangs at startup every time i try. i have tried to get the thing rolling, but no dice.

It just hangs at "application services did not complete succesfully" in verbose logging mode.

Any clues from a bigger mac nerd than me?

touched1
pushin' record

Post by touched1 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:47 pm

Heya Joel,
I'll duck that "bigger nerd" accusation and suggest you try an incremental update like 10.3.5, then go to 10.3.9.

Also, if you have aftermarket PCI cards try pulling them. Aftermarket video cards, try updating firmware.

I've got a B+W that runs 10.3.9 OS and server like a champ.

Teledubgnosis Vinyl and CD's should be in the next week or so. I'll see that you guys get copies as soon as they come in.

Please say hello to Tony, hope all is well at the G

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:57 am

touched1 wrote:Heya Joel,
I'll duck that "bigger nerd" accusation and suggest you try an incremental update like 10.3.5, then go to 10.3.9.

Also, if you have aftermarket PCI cards try pulling them. Aftermarket video cards, try updating firmware.

I've got a B+W that runs 10.3.9 OS and server like a champ.

Teledubgnosis Vinyl and CD's should be in the next week or so. I'll see that you guys get copies as soon as they come in.

Please say hello to Tony, hope all is well at the G
Thanks man! Will do.
The incremental backup's didnt do anything for me. I DID pull all 3rd party stuff, and even got the "mixed ram types" sorted out...

Ugh. It is driving me nuts. I know this thing is capable, as I am already at 10.3.

I will keep trying. The problem is that i have to do an "archive and install" every time this happens, as the OS sort of "half" makes it through the installer...

Lame.

Look forward to the Teledub stuff!

allbaldo
pushin' record

Post by allbaldo » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:24 am

I'm trying to get the same thing happening on my dad's B&W. I can't wait to see how this pans out.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:50 am

allbaldo wrote:I'm trying to get the same thing happening on my dad's B&W. I can't wait to see how this pans out.
Are you at 10.3?

hogfish
steve albini likes it

Post by hogfish » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:03 am

hi joel.
what is the version you are trying to update Joel?10.3.9 will not install unless 10.3.8 is running.I just went thru this doing a 10.4.3 upgrade,
I was running 10.3.7,and tried to update from 10.3.7 to 10.3.9,and got nuked everytime until i installed 10.3.8..........

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:19 am

hogfish wrote:hi joel.
what is the version you are trying to update Joel?10.3.9 will not install unless 10.3.8 is running.I just went thru this doing a 10.4.3 upgrade,
I was running 10.3.7,and tried to update from 10.3.7 to 10.3.9,and got nuked everytime until i installed 10.3.8..........
I am using the combined update straight from 10.3.

I tried to go incrementally, but same problem: hangs at startup so i cant even get to the next increment. I have trolled around on the apple discussions quite a bit, but nobody seems to have this exact problem. I cant seem to figure out why I am hanging at startup EVERY time I try to update the OS.

ARRRGH. 10.3 runs happily, and I did do all the firmware stuff a long time ago.... Pretty much everything, except a third party system drive (as the old 6 gig drive crapped ot about a year ago).

I have been using macs every day since OS 7.5, and i have never had such an insurmountable thing happen. Driving me nuts!