Smokin' n' Drinkin'

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cwileyriser
pushin' record

Smokin' n' Drinkin'

Post by cwileyriser » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:26 am

Sorry if this is the wrong forum

I'm sure that anyone who read the article in the November Sound on Sound about Hendrix's "All Along the Watchtower" sessions noticed that the the picture of Noel Redding showed an ashtray - complete with lit butt - and a Ballantine beer can sitting directly on the board at the Record Plant!

Makes me feel a little better about trading some neatness, etc. for happiness.

I fully acknowledge, of course, that smoke-free is the best way to go for a number of reasons. I can't deal with drinks sitting on equipment with top mounted controls. I really should try to find some kind of smoking compromise - one that doesn't require going outside.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:30 am

How about you install a vent hood over your board so the smoke can go outside? That would be truly badass.

rolandk
buyin' gear

Post by rolandk » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:59 pm

Back in those days there was a lot less "political correctness". I remember as a kid in the '70s eating in restaurants with the family in a cloud of cigarette smoke so thick you could just about cut it with a knife. This was before smoking/non smoking sections, which eventually became the no smoking at all period of today. That and driving with my dad in the pickup with him smoking and the windows rolled up.

I've never been in a commercial recording studio that allowed smoking in the control room. Drinking is OK but don't set them on or near the equipment.
my band: Mission 5

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:27 pm

most 'larger' commercial facilities will allow it, although it usually seems to be the call of whoever is 'in charge' of the session. working with roli mossiman at loho, there were never less than 2 cigarettes lit at a time in the control room it seemed.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:03 pm

Every studio in which I've worked that has allowed smoking in the control room has had major equipment reliability problems. (I've taken apart consoles and found cigarette ashes in the bucket!) On top of that, I've been extremely UNcomfortable working , so as far as "comfort factor," it works both ways. The studio in which I'm currently chief engineer does not allow smoking in the building. If I lose work because of that, so be it. I can't charge enough to justify the maintenence (for me OR the gear).

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:26 pm

In my main room, there's a set of stairs that leads up to a landing, and from there stairs that lead out a skylight onto a deck on the roof. The view from there is breath-taking, you're surrounded by mountains and sky and all of creation, so I don't hesitate to invite someone who needs a cigarette break to take advantage. Not only do they get away from it all for a second, but it's a chance to get pensive and philosophical and just lose yourself in the view. The night sky with the stars is something out of Van Gogh.

Open bottles don't get perched anyplace precarious, other than that anything goes. I'm not their nanny--I'm their friend.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Shane Michael Rose
steve albini likes it

Post by Shane Michael Rose » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:40 pm

berklee studios installed little drink holders outside of each control room. its just as easy to step out for coffee....

if anything it think its better. good to get out of the room for a second and take a sip of whatever.

obviously you cant smoke in there.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:33 pm

I smoke, but not in the studio. I dont like it near the gear, or near the people that dont smoke. That seems like a bygone era. I saw a picture of myself from like 1996 with a lit cigarrete in my mouth, mixing... There is an MCI 16 track 2" machine in the background... The picture looks like 1975 to me now...
(except that i would have been 4 years old).

nick_a
buyin' gear

Post by nick_a » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:39 pm

where i work you can smoke anywhere but the control room, which i think is fine. The place doesn't smell like smoke because the ventilation is decent enough and nobody gets offended. I do wish though that i could go to a studio where i could smoke in the control room. I'd feel like i was in that picture with tony visconti and david bowie. I think everyone should have a chance to go through the 'smokin 'n' mixin' phase.

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:59 pm

Yea, I remember mixing and smoking. Those were the good old days.

Is there a fireplace anywhere in the building you're recording in? If so, open that bad boy up, light a candle or two, put candle inside fireplace, smoke next to said fire place. (Make sure the flue is open, otherwise that defeats the purpose).

Definately beats going outside in the winter.

cvanwinkle
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by cvanwinkle » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:52 pm

I remember doing some gigs in a remote truck when I was interning for the Austrian Broadcasting Corp (ORF). Depending on who was there, there could be an engineer and a producer both chainsmoking in a remote truck (read: small tight space, no windows, absolutely no ventilation). I couldn't stand it and opted to "go watch the preamps". I know that smoking is a lot more lax in Austria, but come on. Terrible terrible thing for the gear.

chillhouse
studio intern

Post by chillhouse » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:46 pm

the guy that built the studio that i bought, in a moment of wisdom, put a restaurant style ventilator fan right ouside the room that serves as our lounge (a narrow room right behind the control room.) the system was intended to ventilate the basement, which it does, but the additional benefit was soon discovered. take the bottom piece of sheet metal off of the box protruding into the "lounge" and leading right to the ventilator and you have instant, massive suction. all within 15 feet of the console. nobody smokes in the control room, but they can smoke their heart out with their head poked in the room, feet away from the mains. it's actually a good way to monitor. as a bonus, i hooked a line out from the master bus into the consumer stereo system that we have in said lounge. clients love to sit back there, smoke, and listen to tracks on a "lo-fi" system. there is a double density heavy door isolating this room from the control room as well. so smoky and wordy cilents can be sequestered as needed.

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:16 am

Maybe it's because our studio is in the basement of my house, but i've never had a smoking problem. I don't smoke, nor do I want people smoking in the studio/house. I started out by saying "Please smoke in the driveway/street/backyard," but got weird looks as if to say "DUH! of course we will!"

The last few bands i've recorded all contain smokers. Even the bass player that I usually play with smokes. They all go upstairs and out the door to smoke without even asking.

Again. . .maybe it's the "home" environment.

-James

Sean Shannon
pushin' record

Post by Sean Shannon » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:29 am

Smoking is unnecessary and dangerous in the studio. I can see no reason to light a fire in the studio for any reason. There is so much more room outside, where unsuspecting equipment and lungs are unaffected. Do yourself a favor and smoke outside. Put an ashtray out there, some chairs, and everyone, including your gear, will love you, except the chain smoker who has no regard for either your equipment or you. I think you will find clients don't mind the short trip outside anyway. Besides, your rooms will stink.
Check your mix in mono.
www.mixmonsterz.com