next? JML or Hamptone

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pandatone
pushin' record

next? JML or Hamptone

Post by pandatone » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:17 am

ok, so well my Gssl isn't totally working.. yet..
i know i'll get it working soon. learned alot. i didnt know anything. and now can test pretty much everything. plus can almost understand a raw circuit diagram.

anyways!

so, what good are sweet compressors, without some sweet preamps no? so well that 1176 / neve hybrid compressor looks like some dope shit.
http://tangible-technology.com/dynamics ... L1176.html

preamps first.

i am leaning towards the JLM 99v dual preamp. but, everyone seems to love their hamptones. opinions anyone? i'm going to recording lots of dynamic mics, recording uncontroled sounds. [from treated string instruments, to pots and pans, and voice's]

panda

bap
takin' a dinner break

Post by bap » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:05 pm

I think that there are two possible correct answers to your question.

#1 - Do the Hamptone
#2 - Do the JLM

A possible #3 would be to do a Seventh Circle kit instead.

I have only done the Hamptone JFET and so would probably do one of the others although the Hamptone is very good on most things I've tried it on and is the most affordable of the 3.
'Oh... no... it wasn't the airplane...it was beauty that killed the beast.'

toilet tunes
audio school graduate

Post by toilet tunes » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:18 pm

i just finished the ssl. fired up first time. The hamptone jfet is my favorite pre for bass, ac guitar, certin vocals ucant lose whith it .
kip

Jupiter 4 Studio
gettin' sounds

Post by Jupiter 4 Studio » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:38 am

The Seventh Circle stuff is great. I just finished building 4-N72's and 4-A12's. No problems at all and the one small problem I had Tim fixed with an overnite delivery of the missing part. I can't say enough about these pre's and I think that cost per channel is well worth it. You get a discount if you buy certain things together too. With the A12 if you buy the kit you get the op amp 1/2 off and if you buy the kit with the chassis you get the power supply for free. Good shit.

Everybody says that the Hamptones are amazing. Haven't heard one for myself yet but either way, I'm sure you can't go wrong.

Steve
Over my head, I hear music in the air.
Over my head I hear music.

luckybastard
takin' a dinner break

Post by luckybastard » Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:00 pm

i'm thinking about getting 2 channels of the c84's early next year and building from there... i got the hamptone tube and it's amazing...

cominginsecond
alignin' 24-trk

Post by cominginsecond » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:02 pm

I love the C84s. I almost like them better than my N72s and A12.

jca83
carpal tunnel

Post by jca83 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:56 pm

what's the c84 like? i heard ultra clean, as in, millennia clean. s'at right?

i'm working on the SCA kits myself... got the PSU and 2 N72's, will add 2 A12's, 2 N72's, 2 A12's and have an awesome 8 channel pre...

i've got four channels of sytek so that's clean enough for right now, but if the c84's really as good as the hype, it may be worth checking out (as it's the cheapest of all the sets, an 8 channel box is about what 4 channels of my current box is going to cost...)
that devil bastard protools

cominginsecond
alignin' 24-trk

Post by cominginsecond » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:35 pm

Yes. Ultra clean and quiet. Gives you exactly what's coming out of your mic. I've not used Millenia, but if this is what Millenia sounds like, I really like Millenia.