Guitar amp mods anyone?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

rolandk
buyin' gear

Guitar amp mods anyone?

Post by rolandk » Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:00 pm

So I was playing around with these mods on my Marshall 2204 head this weekend. The amp sounds like God already except at below deafening volume it has too much high end and could use a little more low end. I did most of the preamp mods listed and they worked out great. Eased up the high end a bit which made the lows and mids more apparent. Did the mid eq pot mod where you add a resistor to raise its value and get more mids.
Didn't do the bass mod because I don't have the cap needed, but I might try it later.
Didn't mess with the slope resistor, which moves the range of the eq pots around. I was tempted to lower the range but then it might not sound "Marshall-y" and I have a Mesa Recto anyways.
Did the higher gain mod in the preamp just for the heck of it but ended up taking it out. Worked great and its amazing that replacing just one resistor can make such a huge difference in tone. Stock the amp has enough gain for me, and I might even make it have LESS gain to get a louder clean sound.

If you guys are into this type of stuff, just do a Google search on the model of your amp and some pretty interesting stuff can pop up.
my band: Mission 5

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:34 pm

well i think that traynor yba-1a could use some tweaks....as its horrifically (sp?) loud....sounds amazing...but i can't get past 2...

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:13 pm

These guys are just down the street from me here in Upstate NY...they have a Gibson amp of mine right now. They are BIG into mods...that link might give y'all some ideas...