Best and cheapest set up for simple digital recording?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Manic Compression
audio school

Best and cheapest set up for simple digital recording?

Post by Manic Compression » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:32 am

I would like to get a very simple digital recording set up. I now have a Tascam 4-track cassette recorder so that's my level of expertise (nothing). I currently have a three year old Mac G4 which I could pretty much dedicate to the project. I would like to work with something from Digidesign as my fantasy is to upgrade to a larger system as my finances allow.

I've been told to think about an "M Box" but know very little about it. With something like that what kind of software could I use? Is that something that can be safely bought used on eBay, etc?.

I don't need a lot of processing, maybe reverb, compression, delay, chorus or could get external devices. Unfortunately I have very little money to spend so a very basic set up would be for me. How little could I spend to get something like that?

Any pointers you could supply would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:26 pm

I thnk an Mbox would suit you well, and it come with ProTools. I bought mine used at a local guitar shop for $250 nearly a year ago. They probably go cheaper now since the release of the Mbox2. You might consider a digi001 (ProTools). I have one now and it works quite well. It's a PCI card with a breakout box. I got mine used on ebay for aroud $450 months ago. Probably cheaper now.

These are two workable scenarios. You can go in many other directions... Good luck!

these_go211
pushin' record

Post by these_go211 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:57 pm

since you have a mac you could get garageband. i think it's $99 bundled with the other programs in the i-life suite. unfortunately you can't buy it on it's own. then a cheap firewire/usb device with a mic pre. these are good times we live in now. getting started with digital recording is cheap. unfortunately it's also addicting and can turn you into a gearslut very quickly :lol:
"well, it's one louder, isn't it...."

http://web.mac.com/chuckelizondo

Manic Compression
audio school

Simple digital recording

Post by Manic Compression » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:00 pm

Wedge,

Thank you very much for your advice. Do you think the Pro Tools software that comes with the mBox would work for my computer?

Thanks again

Manic Compression
audio school

digital Recording

Post by Manic Compression » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:02 pm

These_go,

I will look into Garageband. Thank you very much.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:33 pm

I am generally intolerant of computer recording because I don't enjoy mousing mixes, etc. but there are times when a computer makes things very easy. I have had great luck with Mackie's Tracktion, which is a well-written program that can take you a little further "out there" than Garageband without being as obtuse or complex as Cubase and Pro Tools. It supports VST plugins and everything. The plugins that come with it are quite nice and do 90% of the things you need it to do in a project studio sort of way. I highly recommend it for the hobbyist.

It's $149 at the major online stores. Note that for the same price, at Sweetwater they sell it bundled with a usb box that doesn't look all that great to me, but the box is absolutely free (the Tapco) or for $250 or so with another usb box that looks pretty good (the Spike). I use it with a Tascam us-122 which is great except it doesn't have digital ins/outs.

I don't know why it doesn't have more market share but I suppose it's tough for Tracktion to compete against established standard programs that ultimately offer more to the real pro recordists. Also I think the Mackie name holds it back, as the Mackie mixers and stuff are not considered top of the line by most gear addicts.

I ended up with Tracktion after banging my head against the computer screen trying to figure out Cubase and Pro Tools free versions. Obviously I didn't have the patience to see those programs through. With Tracktion, just like the ads say, I was making coherent things happen within minutes of the installation. Garage Band is even easier, but you run into limitations sooner and then you just covet something more advanced anyway.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:47 pm

If you don't want to deal with a computer, you can try one of the standalone Tascam recorders, like the DP-01. You can get them for as cheap as $300 street.

wedge
tinnitus

Re: Simple digital recording

Post by wedge » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:45 pm

Manic Compression wrote:Wedge,

Thank you very much for your advice. Do you think the Pro Tools software that comes with the mBox would work for my computer?

Thanks again
Absolutely. You may have some limitations on version. I don't know. Hopefully, a ProTools expert will pipe in. If not, go to http://duc.digidesign.com and ask and/or review the multitudinous faqs...

logancircle
tinnitus

M

Post by logancircle » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:48 pm

I agree with Wedge--pick up one of the older MBoxes used. ProTools is a good thing to learn and then maybe you'll decide what direction to go. I've made records with an iBook and old MBox and PT6. The hardware *should* come with ProTools LE discs, but even if not, you can dl the software from the site using the serial # of your hardware.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Studio and Field Recorder in NYC.
I like dirt.
IG: stormydanielson

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

fedexnman
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by fedexnman » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:56 pm

ill put my 2 pennies in for tracktion2.. $149 , im new to computer recording, i had demos for cubase, n live, but i just stared at the screen like a retard.. tracktion was so easy. n if you record yourself it lets you get back to what you do best making music n writing songs..
is it beer 30 yet?????

Terry Ferguson
audio school

Re: Best and cheapest set up for simple digital recording?

Post by Terry Ferguson » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:18 pm

I say get the MBOX old or new. Pro Tools is very easy to learn, and I think straightforward if you've used an analog setup. Plus it's just good to know nowadays. Garage Band is also worth getting. Stay away from Cubase.

I run an MBOX on an IBOOK G4 and I mix!!! It gives me just about all the processing I need.