BLACK WALLS-->Pavement/Built To Spill/Archers Of Loaf-ish

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

brokenchairs
takin' a dinner break

BLACK WALLS-->Pavement/Built To Spill/Archers Of Loaf-ish

Post by brokenchairs » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:43 am

http://www.myspace.com/blackwallsss

we just pressed a 7" and it's been super fun!

it's kinda pavement-y kinda silver jews-y kinda built to spill-esque things...

check it out if you want!

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:36 am

"Skull Mountain" certainly is evocative of early Pavement. I'm sure you noticed this, because it isn't too subtle, but it seems to be severely lacking in the mid- to low-range -- did you use mostly dynamics, or low-speed cassette tape? Nevertheless, I think it sounds pretty good even with that deficiency. The performance is enthusiastic and probably the strongest point of the track, and with maybe different mic choices or placement it would really glow.

There's a good diversity of sounds and sense of depth on "Birds of North America", even though it seems to suffer from the same missing mid-low range. The vocals are upfront but feel naturally spaced. The drums are quite small and tinkle-y, which may or may not be a desired effect, but I feel like they could be represented as bigger or wider, and not detract from the overall mix.

I liked both tracks, and the performances were solid. With more attentiveness to the mid-low range, I think you could make the recordings equally as good.

brokenchairs
takin' a dinner break

Post by brokenchairs » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:29 pm

The entire 7" was done with 14 dollar dynamic mics and one sm57. Most of the drum tracks are in mono which would account for the thinness. I had no preamps, equalizers, compressors or anything else that people usually have, but that would have been really nice. the signal path was

Mic-------Mixing Board------Fostex D-90 recorder-------Dat Machine

and thats it!

This was my first experience with tracking everything, recording it, mixing it, and then eventually mixing it down. I definitely would like to have had more bass in those songs, but it was pretty hard to wring it out of them. i could have moved some mics around and that would have helped, but i really wanted to keep those performances because they had a lot of energy in them. I think that in the end that's more important than quality of sound, although having both is a wonderful thing.

Thanks for listening to the songs, and I appreciate the comments/criticisms!

-jim