File import/conversion wierdness

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

matyas
pushin' record

File import/conversion wierdness

Post by matyas » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:11 pm

So I've got a ProTools session which was originally recorded in a real studio on PT HD. I take the session home for mixing and editing. My home PT machine is just a lowly P-Book with mBox, and I'd much rather mix/edit on my PC with Samplitude. (I vastly prefer the Mac OS, but Sam is really cool.) The session sounds great in PTLE on the laptop, but when I import the files on the PC, they're much too loud and there's huge amounts of noise (not to mention stuff that wasn't audible on the PT session at all, like clicks). The files are 24-bit AIFF with the 12 dB gain option. I tried a couple of options with importing into the PC, with the best being big endian AIFF, but none of them really seem to work acceptably. I don't really care about importing any data except the actual audio. Is there some way to save the audio in a more PC-friendly format from with PT? Are there some options I'm missing in the import?

matyas
pushin' record

Post by matyas » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:28 pm

Finally figured this one out. Samplitude doesn't like .aif files. Even after converting them internally (and trying all the different available options), they still sound noisy and overly hot. After going back to the Mac and re-saving everything there as .wavs, I was able to send the files back to the Samplitude machine and successfully import them.