a ridiculously large room

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

a ridiculously large room

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:53 am

hi, i posted my recording journal from this summer in recording techniques when the board came back up. this is one of the songs from that session. we originially recorded it in a small basement, and i may have posted that at the time. that version went out on a comp, this one will be on our new record. its 9.5 megs, you may need to give it a few minutes. any input would be greatly appreciated...we're finalizing this record soon. thanks!

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:23 pm

I like it.
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:10 pm

a specimen of flawless engineering, you say? huzzah!

hauser gabone
gettin' sounds

Post by hauser gabone » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:41 am

hmm. those outer transmissions sound pretty modulated..nice

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:42 pm

heh, no M.odulator O.f O.uter T.ransmissions on this track.....

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:38 pm

I thought the song was nicely balanced. I really liked the gigantic rumble the drums made, and how the electric lead echoed further away. But I felt the farther-away stuff was a little too 'loose' to me -- they seemed mushed together frequency-wise, much more of a mass than distinguishable instruments (which might've been what you were going for, for all I know). Contrarily, I thought the acoustic guitar and electric, in the more subdued parts, were slightly too distinguished from the farther-away stuff, particularly in the high end; if you had rolled off the top a bit, or just touched it with compression, it might've tamed that effect down. In the louder portions it seemed to fit in pretty well, though. Anyway, I thought you captured everything quite nicely, and there's a good sense of depth. Good job.

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:11 am

thank you, that's about exactly what i've felt....i think a lot of the really really washy stuff is the distorted upright. the tweaks i had in mind were to compress that acoustic's amp'ed signal, bring down the miced one where all the drums and everything else bled into it, and cut some of the high high end out of the guitars.

wow, its so hard to reply effectively when the "leader of the free world" is lying to me live on tv.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:13 pm

Nice!
Harumph!

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:27 pm

well, thank you very much.

i was able to make the changes i wanted to yesterday. i tamed the room sound down a bit and leaned more on the DI sound, compressed some more snap into the drums. brought the 10k craziness down on the lead guitar, brought the room mic down on the vocals...

i'm going to post some more stuff form this session soon.