farfisa + drums + tamborine

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

hauser gabone
gettin' sounds

farfisa + drums + tamborine

Post by hauser gabone » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:50 pm

hey.
just a short little sample i could use some critiques on.
rough song idea, im interested in sound ideas.

http://lemonsarelouder.com/roughmix.mp3

recorded with an sm-57 on the bass drum, 57 on the snare/hi-hat area, akg c2000 overhead..sennheiser dynamic on the organ amp...
overdubbed handclaps + vocals...
only listen to the first 1:30-2:00...its pretty repepetive but i was happy with the sound.. the drummer, and tamorine player having some stoned fun with their vocals at the end..oh well!
so its 4 mics, mixed down, recording one stereo track..not much to mix..
thanks for listening..if you did

note-i think the handclaps sound shitty..what can i do?
also the organ was cutting out a bit. and the distortion on that is all from the organ (old) but i liked it
i'm sitting here in a moustache cause it needs to recharge

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:57 pm

I thought it was pretty nice-sounding, all around. Everything sounds well-represented and unhyped, a little roomy, but not in a boxy, negative way.

The panning on the kit was a little strange to my ears -- the center to the right and sweeping back and out to the left -- although I'm guessing this was purposeful (?). I could hardly hear the bass drum, so I would bring that up more if you want it more discernable.

I liked how the vocals were placed and recorded; I can imagine it working really well when you have more particular vocal parts, and if you have unison singing and harmonies. You might consider jumping between the sides and a centered vocal as an effect as well. Although the organ sounds pretty good in the room its in, you might also try close mic'ing it to get more control over its timbre.

As for the handclaps, I could only guess what might remedy that (different mic? backing away from the mic?). And I probably should know, because I've many a time run into that too-meaty-sounding handclap. But, never to fear, the handclap has been covered extensively, several times, right here on the board: one, two, and three. Good luck!

hauser gabone
gettin' sounds

Post by hauser gabone » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:29 am

thanks for listening evan..
the panning is a bit strange, i had to pan everything on the mixer before we recorded..so i kind of had to predict what he was going to do.
-i'll be sure to record the bass drum a bit louder next time
-the organ WAS close mic'd...unfortunatley the room isn't too large so it must be bleed from the drum overhead.

-later this week i plan to add bass, more vocals and re-record those handclaps.
thanks for your input.
i'm sitting here in a moustache cause it needs to recharge