Enough Claptonbashin' let's praise Roy Orbison!

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:45 am

John Jeffers wrote:
joeysimms wrote:It's offering just as much to the board as you or I are. For one thing, it gets everyone riled up. I think it's hilarious. I share some of hammer's opinions - I'm just not interested in debating them. So, I say nothing while some here go on and on about stuff I wouldn't wipe my ass with. Still, it's a free world (and messageboard), if ya don't like it, ignore it.
Fair enough, Joey. It's a difference of opinion about what's valuable. I personally don't see any value in riling people up for no good reason. I'm not a fan of Roy Orbison either (or Clapton, for that matter), but there's a way to disagree tactfully, or just stay out of the conversation if you don't agree.

The TOMB has always been a great example of a productive message board with high S/N, and I trust the mods to keep it that way. So, I'm now going to take my own advice and shut up about it.
It's a case of the ill sucking onyour will to live. No big deal. The difference of opinion is actually secondary to the neurosis. i.e. Once the neurosis is gone a new outlook is possible whereas the ex-neurotic likes Clapton and Orbison and no longer hates everything based on a lack of control of the universe.
Harumph!

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:30 am

Brian - well put.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:35 am

Brian wrote:
John Jeffers wrote:
joeysimms wrote:It's offering just as much to the board as you or I are. For one thing, it gets everyone riled up. I think it's hilarious. I share some of hammer's opinions - I'm just not interested in debating them. So, I say nothing while some here go on and on about stuff I wouldn't wipe my ass with. Still, it's a free world (and messageboard), if ya don't like it, ignore it.
Fair enough, Joey. It's a difference of opinion about what's valuable. I personally don't see any value in riling people up for no good reason. I'm not a fan of Roy Orbison either (or Clapton, for that matter), but there's a way to disagree tactfully, or just stay out of the conversation if you don't agree.

The TOMB has always been a great example of a productive message board with high S/N, and I trust the mods to keep it that way. So, I'm now going to take my own advice and shut up about it.
It's a case of the ill sucking onyour will to live. No big deal. The difference of opinion is actually secondary to the neurosis. i.e. Once the neurosis is gone a new outlook is possible whereas the ex-neurotic likes Clapton and Orbison and no longer hates everything based on a lack of control of the universe.
:D

Nice spin.
beware bee wear

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:00 am

joeysimms wrote:
Brian wrote:
John Jeffers wrote:

:D

Nice spin.
Thank you very much. :shock:
Harumph!

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:10 am

Or he is pulling our various legs - his dad seems to be alive, as he mentions in that dreadful Grateful Dead thread. He mentions that his dad always tries to get him to read the New Yorker. Maybe he's just a garden variety fugitive from disagreeable parents. Maybe his inheritance, if there is one, comes from distant relatives the deaths of whom did not require much mourning. Maybe he is just a jerk.

Anyway, we have to take what information we are given at face value for this message board thing to work. If he is in trouble, I hope he can sit still long enough to read what Brian wrote.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:14 am

Thank you, Tatertot, I hope he's just a jerk.
Harumph!