Please give me some advice on how to save this mix?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

The General Bone
audio school

Please give me some advice on how to save this mix?

Post by The General Bone » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:58 pm

I'm not really an engineer, but more of a songwriter. I do like demoing my tunes though, and enjoy trying to get them sounding as good as I can with my limited gear and more importantly, experience.

I have a song that I've been working on that has really frusterated me. The mix just doesn't seem to gel in any way. The vocal seems removed from the sound of the other instruments and I can't seem to fix it. Any other mix advice would also be appreciated. You can listen here:

All I Need

By the way, I've been reading this board for a while, but never posted. Man is there some great info here.

Thanks

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:27 pm

The first thing that occurs to me, is that you've got some hard panning going on, such that the vocal is spatially seperated from everything but the drums and bass (and the solo guitar, but they don't overlap temporally). This panning adds to some of the disconnect between vocals and instruments. Given that your instruments have some frequency separation from the vocals, I think you wouldn't have any problems with reducing the panning. I gave the track a listen in mono, and thought the choruses sounded more coherent. I'm not saying you should be that extreme, but it was an easy way to see what the panning was contributing.

The General Bone
audio school

Post by The General Bone » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:53 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try panning the guitar a bit less and see if it makes a diffenerence. Anybody elese with ideas?