really slow tech, what would you do?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

echosound
studio intern

really slow tech, what would you do?

Post by echosound » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:27 pm

i've had my 16 channel Yamaha PM 1000 in the shop since 6/30/05. all i asked the guy to do was fix an intermittent noise in the power supply and mod 4 channels for direct out. i paid a rush fee of $35 and $250 as a deposit on the work. today is 12/20/05 i called (for the 10th time) and was told the guy finally got around to the board but he's just going to fix the noise and not do the mods, what up with that? (i cant get the actual tech on the phone, just the receptionist). this shop has fixed my marshall bluesbreaker amp and a close friends tac scorpion in the past with no issues. are there any decent techs in L.A. that know and love these boards? how would you handle this situation?

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:25 pm

1. HE'S FIRED!!
2. Don't reccomend him anymore.
3. Find a tech that "likes you".
Harumph!

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:25 pm

is that the same guy that had 16 PM1000 modules on eBay over the last 5 months?

echosound
studio intern

Post by echosound » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:08 pm

not the ebayer. it's actually a kinda "known" electronics repair place on the west side of Los Angeles. i don't want to use their name, seeing as they still have my board.(':cry:')

lsn110
steve albini likes it

Post by lsn110 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:31 am

Well, for one...you should get that rush fee back.

Ask for an explanation. Chances are it won't be good enough, but give the guy an opportunity. I've dealt with this kind of situation a bunch of times...Most of the time it's poor time management. They take every job that comes their way and underestimate when they'll get to it.

They either need to learn to refuse work up front, or need to hire more help.

sonicmook56
steve albini likes it

Post by sonicmook56 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:09 am

Techs are always slow!

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:31 am

Thanks for that Mr. SCOTT!
SCOTTY!
They aren't always slow. Unprofessional people are slow, the pros get things done. Your guy was probly over his head and didn't want to say anything about it for fear that he'd lose work or people would get the wrong impression.
Now look at what impression they got.
Harumph!

rolandk
buyin' gear

Post by rolandk » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:18 am

Talk to the owner of the shop and see exactly what the hold up is. 6 months is totally unacceptable. If they can't get to it within a month and/or there will be a very long wait on parts then they should contact you and give you the option of taking it back with only the minimal bench fee charge.

I was a 12 year service tech for a car audio manufacturer and we never had anything like that happen. Company policy is customers can speak directly to the techs (which is good) and as a tech, the prospect of getting yelled at by a customer is a good incentive to be honest and do the best work you can in a reasonable time period.
my band: Mission 5

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:23 pm

Sounds like he's a lazy fuck. I would ask for a complete refund, regardless of the work he's done.

Not that you're to blame, but after a month, I would've gotten my board out of there ASAP. I'm sure there's plenty of efficient, experienced techs in the West LA area.