Asking for letters of reccomendation

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jmiller
steve albini likes it

Asking for letters of reccomendation

Post by jmiller » Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:57 am

I've been working in a very high end facility for two and a half years. I started as a runner and eventually became an assistant, which is what I did the last year and a half or so there, getting the 'official' promotion early this year. This was rare at this facility as their demands on assistants were generally high and people usually quit or got fired before making this step, though there were a small handful of exceptions, I was quite proud of this.

Last friday, I got a call from the manager informing me that the owners have decided to close the studio. I am now out of a job. I really loved my job, and I am really quite put out, but I'm looking forward to other oppurtunities. Most frustrating, however, is finding myself back in the saturated job market that is being an 'assistant engineer' looking for work.

Here's my point: I worked extensively with two particular engineers all the time who I feel I had a decent professional relationship with. I could really use some help, as I would much rather get into another studio on an equal or greater level than the previous one, and these are not easy facilities to get jobs in. Would it be out of line to ask either of these guys for a brief paragraph or so of reccomendation that might help me land a good job? If so, what's a good way to ask for something like this?

I also asked my former manager and owner if I could possibly get one from them as well. They said yes, but that was a week ago. Obviously it's been a busy week for everyone, and it may still come, but if it's been a while, is there a good to ask again? I absolutely HATE asking people for this kind of stuff, but I really believe I was a great employee. I just know that they aren't having fun either, and I don't want to upset anyone, step on anyone's toes, or violate any formalities.

Any Ideas?

sonicmook56
steve albini likes it

Post by sonicmook56 » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:07 am

O'Henry? that sucks! I would give it some time to wait for a letter. There probably drowning in paperwork at the moment, closing the place and all.
Last edited by sonicmook56 on Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sean Shannon
pushin' record

Post by Sean Shannon » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:16 am

Most people who like you will help you out. Ask.
Check your mix in mono.
www.mixmonsterz.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:03 pm

Besides asking the engineers you worked with for letters, ask them for work. I would guess they will start freelancing and may need assistants. Keep in close touch with them, do so cheap work when they're working on a tight budget, and just be available to these guys.