what are the worst design problems you have encountered?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:51 pm

dwlb wrote:
Mark Alan Miller wrote:Bathroom off the control room? I got you beat, Larry. My old place had no bathroom. None. Nada. Zip. Ha! :)
My old band recorded our first album at White Room Studios in Detroit, which is now a very nice facility, apparently (I haven't been to Detroit in ten years or so). When I was there it was still making the transition from being Second Self's rehearsal space into being a commercial studio, so the bathrooms had not been built yet. If you had to go, you had to leave the building, cross the street and ask nicely at the 24-hour coffee shop to use their employee restroom, which was behind their counter and down the steps into their basement.
We had woods for number ones, and several local supermarkets and eateries for number twos and those who prefer not to rough it so much. Glad those days are ending. I wanted to do this ten years ago. Can't believe I (and my clients) stuck it out this long...

Did that studio send weekly thank-you notes to the coffee shop?
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:12 pm

Looks like they left daily thank-you notes in the toilet.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:32 pm

Mark Alan Miller wrote:
dwlb wrote:
Mark Alan Miller wrote:Bathroom off the control room? I got you beat, Larry. My old place had no bathroom. None. Nada. Zip. Ha! :)
My old band recorded our first album at White Room Studios in Detroit, which is now a very nice facility, apparently (I haven't been to Detroit in ten years or so). When I was there it was still making the transition from being Second Self's rehearsal space into being a commercial studio, so the bathrooms had not been built yet. If you had to go, you had to leave the building, cross the street and ask nicely at the 24-hour coffee shop to use their employee restroom, which was behind their counter and down the steps into their basement.
We had woods for number ones, and several local supermarkets and eateries for number twos and those who prefer not to rough it so much. Glad those days are ending. I wanted to do this ten years ago. Can't believe I (and my clients) stuck it out this long...

Did that studio send weekly thank-you notes to the coffee shop?
I don't know. We did buy a shit-ton of coffee and donuts, though.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:42 am

dwlb wrote:
Mark Alan Miller wrote: Did that studio send weekly thank-you notes to the coffee shop?
I don't know. We did buy a shit-ton of coffee and donuts, though.
That's even better. And probably why they let everyone use their can.
Tatertot wrote:Looks like they left daily thank-you notes in the toilet.
And with that, I think we can move off of the no-toilet issue. :)
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.