thank you, spaceman

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

ClownMonkey
pluggin' in mics

thank you, spaceman

Post by ClownMonkey » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:27 am

http://www.myspace.com/thankyouspaceman

EDIT: I recorded only two of the songs appearing on that page. (Billy Pilgrim, Test Pilot)When The Current Comes was done by Scott Thompson a few years prior. I believe he used an 8 track 1/4" machine and processed it all on his PC.

I recorded this two piece live in the finished side of my basement with a Yamaha AW2816. We did about a dozen songs that weekend.

The vocal is all B.L.U.E. Ball. The guitar is all an Epiphone Dot recorded into a Fender Bassman 70 Watt tube head, and 1-15" cabinet close mic'd with a SM57 and also a direct out into the recorder.

Eric Cook plays, writes and sings all tracks.

The drums were built by the drummer (Jimmy Poplin). I recorded them with one of those CAD 3 piece sets of drum mics and (I think, don't have my notes here...) just an AT3035 overhead. (although I might have used another dynamic mic oh).

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:30 am

I like the songs. Is there any bass guitar? I couldn't really hear it if there was. I like one man band stuff (like me).

I'd like to know more about those DiY drums.

ClownMonkey
pluggin' in mics

Post by ClownMonkey » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:45 am

Nope Guitar, vocal, drums. White Stripey style. tysm at one point was a 5pc band (I think). 4 or 5 pc. Anyway Eric Cook (Eric1 as I refer to him as) finally pared it down to it's bare necessities. Eric1 also plays and sings in The Blots. (I'm Eric2, being the younger and slightly shorter :P )

The drum kit Jimmy made and used in this recording was neat-o. The kick was not tall, but hella deep. I don't think I have any pics of that kit, but here's a link to my Flickr site that shows a snare he built for his nephew.

http://flickr.com/photos/theblots/tags/snare/