Sonic Youth: the remastered GOO

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Sonic Youth: the remastered GOO

Post by Brian Brock » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:58 pm

Well, I never really listened to the original Goo, because you know, back then it wasn't cool to like popular things. But holy crap, Goo is my favorite Sonic Youth album now. Has anyone done a comparison to the original master? In the notes, they claim that they were unhappy with the original master.

It comes with a second disc of 8 track demos which are pretty cool in their own right. I imagine that if another band had released the demos as an album, it would be considered a classic now. I was hoping for more of a revelation as to the compositional process, but I'll have to pay more attention before I get that.

Brian

junkyardtodd
gettin' sounds

Post by junkyardtodd » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:34 pm

This has stood strong as my favorite SY record. I like it even better now!
Yes, I am one of THOSE people, up in the attic, trying to recreate the magical sounds of my youth (cheap trick, boston, pavement) on the family 8 track recorder.

eric b
audio school

Post by eric b » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:28 am

goo was my first exposure to s.y. (i was in 10th grade when it came out) so i love it, but i still like daydream nation better.

havent heard the reissue yet, but im sure its great.

slowdive is another group who is doing reissues of their records w/ bonus disks. me like-y.