Breaking in... (sorry kind of long)

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Breaking in... (sorry kind of long)

Post by blackdiscoball » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:18 am

So, for a couple years now I have decided I want to record music for a living. Im 21, going to college for communications, but all I really want to do is record music. I have been looking at different audio schools, chilicothies Recording Workshop (since I live in Ohio), and also La recording school, which I visited. I have been recording everything I can and reading about everybook/internet artical/magizine I can get my hands on. Now I realize this doesnt make me an expert by any means, but with the experience and knowledge I do have a pretty good solid grasp on audio theory practice and such. I actually have had a couple friends that went to the Recording Workshop and graduated (or what ever it is) and I probable know more then they do, at least it seems that way. I would really like to hear some peoples opinions as to the best way to get into the Audio Engineering career. It seems alot of people, past and present have just worked thier way in from the ground floor up by knowing people and such and if I should just try to find a free internship somewhere and work my way up that way and if so what is the best way to go about getting an internship?

mpedrummer
steve albini likes it

Post by mpedrummer » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:47 pm

Working your way up is pretty much all you can get these days, if you can find a place with an "up" to work to.

As a recent graduate, the biggest piece of advice I can give you is finish your degree. You might not want to go into that field, and that's fine, but if you ever need to fall back on something, you'll have something to fall back on. For that matter, simply having a degree, period, opens doors to other jobs as well.

Good luck to you!

MPEDrummer

ryanlikestorock
gettin' sounds

Post by ryanlikestorock » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:57 pm

My method and advice has usually been the opposite of what's listed above. I say "burn the boat". If this is what you want to do and you're 100% sure of that, I think you should drop out of school and get a loan for $20,000 (or whatever your education would cost) and put it into the tools you need to record music.

I've lived my life by jumping in and learning how to swim. It's painful, embarrassing and sometimes seems expensive. However, for many people like myself, it's the best way to learn.