Studio Timeshare Opportunity in Los Angeles

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

bounce
alignin' 24-trk

Studio Timeshare Opportunity in Los Angeles

Post by bounce » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:13 pm

I hope it's okay to post this here!

Okay, before anyone bashes me for "promoting studio time," let me state my proposal ;-)

I have an 1100 sq. ft. studio here in Los Angeles and it's been good to me the 7 years I've been in it. I am fine keeping it all to myself as I have the past 7 years. However, I have evaluated the amount of time that I spend in it using the whole spot and realize (duh!) that someone else could be making a living with it as well and sharing ideas, techniques, etc. I'm interested in a collective, progressive, think tank environment where the quality of product is augmented daily by the knowledge base and new ideas of the production "staff." I imagine a studio where ideas are shared yet individuality is encouraged and cultivated.
I'm now interviewing producer/engineer types that are interested in a timeshare situation. With 2 other folks, each party (3 total) would have the studio 35+ hours a week (more if you want to work 12 a.m. to 9a.m.) This means each person will have specific hours daily to use the facility (could be split 5-5-5 hours one day, 10-5 the next, 5-10 the next, on a rotating schedule to be determined) based on a 9 a.m. to 12 midnight prime hour workday. Hours can be traded to facilitate client schedules. I have plenty of gear to get the job done (not world class but not Circuit City either) but never enough (!) (Pro Tools mix plus soon to be HD, lots of instruments, odd pre's, etc.) but you may have your own. I'm willing to share if you are. We can work out maintenance, wear, etc. so that everyone is happy.

I also have a small second room (8x13) that could be used for editing/preproduction, yada yada simultaneously (more work hours to divide). The studio consists of 1 main CR which is about 16x22 (odd shaped), 1 main live room 18x22, 1 iso 9x9, 1 kitchen workshop area, and studio 2 (edit/prepro room) 8x13.

I am looking for creative, VERY FRIENDLY, STAND UP TYPE FOLKS that will continue the reputation of the studio as being honest, friendly and rewarding for clients. References will be required (I'd rather not hand the keys over to someone evil, please). The studio has its quirks (I built it on a limited budget but it's very functional and very vibey) but works great for getting noise made and people happy

I have a publishing deal with a company that gets my work licensed for tv/film and find that I can do a lot of work outside the studio but need the studio for album projects (label or not) and to develop unsigned acts (bands, live strings, drums, yada yada).
A person's character and vibe are number one on my priority list. This deal may be open to just one other person as well (2 way split) but of course the overhead will be a bit more. I would be even more comfortable with one other individual that I know I can trust but 2 would be great as well.

Please note: Drugs, Drugees are out (this studio is my livelyhood and what goes on here is my reputation, okay?). Weapons are out (No gangstas, I like rap just fine just no thugs in my studio, that's all played out to me). No flakes, only responsible professionals with skill or an aptitude for it and a positive reputation. Positive energies have gotten me this far and I'd like to keep positive folks around me. It may take a little longer sometimes in this business, but the rewards are much greater. Don't tell me there aren't any positive folks in this business ;-) I know 2 already (in 20 years LOL).

Note: I Am NOT hiring. This is a timeshare. Each party would be responsible for a split overhead somewhere in the $600 to $1000 range depending on the deal, monthly. In Los Angeles, this is a pretty good deal as far as I'm concerned (rents for commercial properties in this area are about 2.50 to 3.00 a ft.)

Please send inquiries to:

mckay at b-oz dot com

okay, flame or rejoice at once ;-)
McKay Garner
Production-Mixing-Composition
http://www.mckaygarner.com

Harmony Head
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Harmony Head » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:55 pm

If i wasn't on the other side of the world, this would seem like a sweet deal, especially when you look at the rooms...

McKay.. you should have put your website address up, so people could see. http://www.b-oz.com/

Good luck with it. These sort of things can work fine with the right people involved.

HH
If you don't do anything wrong, you never have to worry about anything coming back to bite you on the ass...

bounce
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bounce » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:02 pm

Thanks, HH ;-)
McKay Garner
Production-Mixing-Composition
http://www.mckaygarner.com