Anyone use Bamboo area rugs in a studio...?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Anyone use Bamboo area rugs in a studio...?

Post by centurymantra » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:44 am

I'm finishing up work-over of a decent sized 25x21 space that's been transformed into a recording studio. It's got a nice high vaulted ceiling with interesting (non-square) architectural construction where the walls are concerned. It is mostly drywall with some wood and have installed a combination of diffusion panels on side walls, suspended tectum panels on the ceiling (with a couple on the walls), some mineral wool panels on the walls and a couple of corners, with some self-constructed mineral wool gobos and baffles. Rounding it off with some hanging cotton absorber panels I'll be hanging as baffles on the ceiling and maybe doing some wood panelling at strategic points on the side walls for live reflections to balance. All that aside, the floor IS carpeted...commercial carpet over rubber padding on concrete - basement level. This isn't too bad really, but have thought about picking up a couple of these area rugs that are made of bamboo similar to the 'toothpick' or bamboo slat blinds you can buy for your windows. Thought they could be interesting to place at a couple of spots in room to add some 'live-ness' to the carpeted floor. Hard to say really. Has anyone else tried these out in this context.

Bill @ Irie Lab
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Bill @ Irie Lab » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:16 pm

They may not be durable enough for heavily trafficed surfaces but they're cheap so give it a try.

The rattan slats with stand-offs work wonders for windows or glazed wall surfaces.

Bill
I&TC - Intonation and Technology Company
Irie Lab Sound Studios

***** Sound Science & Soul *****